1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating Lee Riders corduroy pants with original tags

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Robin of Frocksley, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Robin of Frocksley

Robin of Frocksley Registered Guest

I found two pairs of deadstock Lee corduroys at the Salvation Army today, and am having trouble dating them. I am a total novice at dating denim brands. This pair has features (font style on Lee label, zip fly, logo on button and rivets) that look to be from the 60's from the little I've figured out so far. I haven't been able to match the AFL-CIO tag to any in the resource but I may have missed it. The one thing that makes me think 70's is the care tag, but I have heard/read that sometimes care tags were used before the 70's? They have a lot of original tags, and I'm hoping that will help narrow the date down. I love the back pocket tag with the 40's rodeo cowboy! I'll get pics of the other pair tomorrow when the sun is back up. Thanks so much for any guidance!
    20151201_161028.jpg 20151201_160934.jpg 20151201_161126.jpg 20151201_161132.jpg 20151201_161347.jpg 20151201_161450.jpg 20151201_161505.jpg 20151201_161516.jpg

2. jauntyrooster

jauntyrooster Alumni

I actually have a good Lee dating resource so will take a look when I am back home for you. I agree they are 70s or possibly even a bit newer.

The UGWA union label isn't that helpful in dating garments. It only underwent some finely nuanced changes over the years and even the menswear experts can't agree on those tiny changes and when they occurred. The ACWA union label is much more helpful in assisting with dating menswear.

Robin of Frocksley likes this.
  3. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I had a pair of 70s Lee corduroys (flares though) for years - bought as deadstock and the worn them to death (they got their spot in the limelight when I went on a TV show :hysterical:). Now if I could remember what kind of label they had! The button and the big Lee label at the waist were the same, and I there was some type of care label, but this washed out in time. I just have this image of a white, washed-out label in my mind... :wacko:

Robin of Frocksley likes this.