1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating maxi dress and descriptive term for neckline....Halter? 60s or 70s?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by laurenm, Feb 8, 2015.

1. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

hey all, another cusp? 60s 70s? No labels...homemade and unfortunately the fabric is 'upside down' in the front!
    And any terms for this pseudo halter/cheongsam style of neckline?
    Thanks for any help
    Lauren

Attached Files:

2. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Mandarin collar, keyhole neckline, shelf bust.

I can't see all of the back but it looks like you have another keyhole there too.

3. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

Thanks Melanie....and yes...the backs got keyhole.

Attached Files:

4. I agree with Melody on details and vote late '60s.

5. Catbooks1940s

Catbooks1940s VFG Member

i agree with mandarin collar, keyhole neckline (and backline), but not shelf bust. this is an empire waist. a shelf bust has an actual 'shelf' of fabric under the bust.

6. Agree - I'd call this cumberbund style high or empire waist, with the bodice gathered into it. Shelf bust is a different, '50s silhouette.

7. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

What is that waist panel if not a piece of fabric supporting the bust shaping? I've always understood an empire waist to have the skirt fabric flowing freely from the empire line, not with an interruption to the line such as this.

8. Good point Melanie: if this was a high or empire style waist the dress would have two waists - so not high or empire. Can I still go for cumberbund style waist?

This is what I generally think of as a shelf bust, where the bodice presents the bust in a very forward thrusting manner.

[​IMG]

Catbooks1940s likes this.
  9. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

10. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

Inset or insert waist??

11. Catbooks1940s

Catbooks1940s VFG Member

ah, i was tired last night and didn't notice the wide fitted midriff waist panel. you're right, melanie, a classic empire waist dress would fall away under the bust. i would say this dress has an empire bust, with wide midriff panel waist. if it were a cummerbund, it'd be gathered or pleated.

great shot of a real shelf bust, nicole! yes, it was a 50s thing.

lauren, it's inset.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015