1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating mesh whiting and davis purse

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by JojosRetroAndVintage, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Hello there. Wondering if anyone can help me date a cream colored whiting and davis clutch. The lining is navy blue and the tag is intact. It looks like the tag in the label resource listed as post WWII. Bag measures 8" X 4.5". Since whiting and davis is still in production, I'm wondering if anyone can help me determine if this is a late 40s, 50s or 60s clutch. I will attempt to post some pics here. Thank you.

Josette

2. whiting and davis continued

Here is another pic...

3. bycin

bycin Guest

Looks mid50s maybe?

4. yes, thats what I was thinking. Many thanks!:hiya:

5. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

Hi! I have the same style bag in an earlier version--this bag was made by W & D for at least three decades, I believe. But I think yours is probably 50s (though I would say early 50s) rather than immediate post-WWII era, due to the newer look of the faille lining.

However, I am wondering about it being a clutch--I've never seen this bag without handles. Because the body is so unstructured, it would be a bit difficult to carry it as a clutch, I think. Unless yours has a "stiffer" lining in it, or maybe is smaller than the ones I've seen--which would make them easier to hand carry. Take a look at this one, and see if you might find tell-tale signs on yours of rings where the handles would have been attached: http://www.artfire.com/modules.php?name=Shop&op=listing&product_id=2820000

6. Thanks so much for your thoughtful reply! It does have stiff side body underneath the mesh- almost like cardboard. There are no signs or any indication that were handles. It seems it was intended as a small clutch. Very fun to see yours as well- they are very similar!

7. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

Then it definitely must have been meant to be a clutch--the handbags are soft sided and quite unstructured, so would be unwieldy to carry like a clutch.

Yours is the first clutch in this style I've seen then--very sweet bag! This must have been such a popular style for them that they made it in more than one version. I think there was probably a small change purse that went with these as well. It would be fun to have an entire ensemble of them!

8. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I found this ad in 1957 and 1958 in the Newspaper Archives. It looks like the same bag - except it does have a strap. The only clutch I found is from 1949 - and it doesn't have the wide banding like you bag does.

1957:

[​IMG]

Here are several W&D Alumesh Bags from 1949-1966:
    [​IMG]

9. bycin

bycin Guest

It's a lovely bag!

10. @Linn-Wow- what fantastic finds! I love old advertisements- they make vintage feel even moreso like a physical piece of history.

@vintagebaubles- I couldn't agree more! Even my 8 yr old son told me it was too cool for me to sell it. Well, we gotta eat too, honey. LOL

Many thanks all!:clapping: