1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating of flannel petticoat, trim question

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Grover Street Girl, Oct 31, 2020.

1. Grover Street Girl

Grover Street Girl Registered Guest

I have a question about the age of this flannel petticoat, are there clues that would narrow it down?
    Also, what exactly is the style of embellishment called? It is flat brains, hand stitched down, similar to the way that rouleaux is applied.
    And lastly, it is an 18” waist, with a very wide waist panel with toilet pin holes. 35.5” long w/o the waistband, so not a child’s. Was this worn by a young woman?
    It is cream colored wool flannel with two side seams and appears to be totally hand sewn. Hand crocheted linen lace trim.
    Thanks for the help!

B2E015EA-61B1-4BC3-A483-9285BBF2FE18.jpeg 531D680F-16C2-4D71-93AF-6769C8AF20FC.jpeg D61EC020-F017-4F14-AABA-7AB54FDDB070.jpeg 301C4364-5741-4624-A3EE-AB0AF6EB64BC.jpeg

2. Grover Street Girl

Year, it appears to be original, beautifully hand stitched and lots of toilet pin holes. It’s fine muslin, though, so that might help! Thanks!

3. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

Some of these puzzling garments with impossibly narrow wide waistbands are not women's petticoats, but are "display" petticoats for infants. In antique photos, infants often wore extremely long petticoats, displayed draped across the end of a pram or carriage, or sitting on the lap of an adult. These petticoats were not made with straps, but were wrapped around the baby's chest under the arms and fastened with safety pins - thus the "...lots of toilet pin holes." In a quick search, I found an example in Etsy:
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/873046374/antique-victorian-baby-slip-1800s-long?
    A variety of braids were available to seamstresses with patterns for application. Yours is a nice example.
    What are "toilet pins"?
    Marian

4. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Actually, I have a couple of long flannel skirts/slips/petticoats like that, with the same waistband, but they are both part of infant baptismal sets. When I saw these photos, my first thought was that that was what this is. This one is very long, but so are mine. If I can find any of them quickly I will measure the skirt, so we can compare it.

5. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Oops...sniped by Marian...and now that I think about mine, they may not be baptismal sets. I think I am conflating two infant outfits.

Grover Street Girl likes this.
  6. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

Baptismal and christening outfits for infants often had this type of petticoat, but they could also be worn with a saque or short decorative jacket.
    Marian

7. Grover Street Girl

Hi Marian, Thanks for that information, I never would have guessed! Lucky babies.

Toilet pins are dressing table pins, glass headed pins, like these in the photo.
    Ronda

Attached Files:

8. Now that you say muslin, I see that it is original. and I agree and infants petticoat.
    I too, dont know what toilet pins are. Do you mean the tiny beauty pins?

9. Grover Street Girl

Hi, thanks, I appreciate all the help on this, I would never have known!

Toilet pins are glass headed pins, like the ones found in the cubes. Used for fastening garments, etc. I posted a photo of two examples that I have. Ronda

10. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

I can't see any images.
    I generally date these as late 1800's to 1900. They were pretty much not seen after 1920.

11. Grover Street Girl

1011E574-51C9-4C3F-AD28-CF43DF3AF1D8.jpeg

lkranieri likes this.
  12. Grover Street Girl

Did the images show this time? I’m new to the forums, and want to make sure I’m doing it correctly. Thank you for your help, and happy November! Ronda

13. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

I agree that it's a christening petticoat for an infant. The white christening gown, (potentially over yet another white petticoat) would go over this and all you might see would be the hem as the baby was carried or held.
    As it's flannel, I'd guess a cool weather christening. You also see these in lighter cotton with lace and white work embellishment.

The "brains" looks like a decorative cord that has been hand caught down from the back.