1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating possible re-worked antique cotton calico dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by DaisyandStella, Jul 9, 2019.

1. DaisyandStella

DaisyandStella VFG Member

IMG_7839.jpg IMG_7844.jpg IMG_7840.jpg IMG_7841.jpg IMG_7847.jpg

Hi all - I've got a lovely antique cotton calico print dress, however, the construction makes me believe it was up cycled / re-worked. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

The diamond buttons are glass mother of pearl. There's hem tape and a few fabric patches that I did not see until I turned her inside out. One snap closure at neckline.

Thanks much!
    Brooke

Attached Files:

2. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

early 1900s and probably for a younger lady.

3. MirandaLT

MirandaLT Registered Guest

Love the dress! Do you still have it?

4. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

The hem tape is wrong for the period. It looks like a c. 1915 dress, probably bought through a catalogue (those small scale cotton print dresses were popular with rural clients) but I don't like the hem tape - that's a much later feature than the dress. I am trying to think of the earliest I have seen hem tape and I can't think of anything prior to 1940s - anybody else seen it earlier? For this period it should have a wide bias-cut cotton band, probably in black cotton and about 2 inches wide. So it has either been hemmed up or rehemmed more recently.

DaisyandStella likes this.