1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. greatglenvintage

greatglenvintage Registered Guest

Looking for help on dating this purse. I think 50s. Or maybe 60s? Also, I'm a bit confused on the material. The middle lighter colored part feels like suede, but the darker colored part feels like faux leather. Would these typically have been combined? The darker part has a very smooth feel. The inside is lined in vinyl with an interior pocket with zipper.

Attached Files:

2. StitchesandSnags

StitchesandSnags Registered Guest

I think it's from the sixties!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  3. greatglenvintage

Anyone have any ideas on the material?

4. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Normally it would be real leather with real suede, and faux leather with faux suede. You may be able to just see the back of the leather/faux leather, under where it is zig zag cut at the edge of the suede. That should tell you if it's real or faux.

A vinyl lining with a real leather and suede outer though, is not so unusual.

Agree with sixties.

5. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

If it's faux suede, it might be Corfam.

6. greatglenvintage

What am I looking for underneath for leather vs. faux leather? I can just barely pull it back where it's zig zag.

7. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

If it's leather the back will look like suede - like the back of a leather hide. If it's faux it's usually a kind of fabric backing, and you can just see the weave. With such a small area to examine, you may have to look very closely, perhaps with a magnifying glass (depending on your eyesight!)

8. StitchesandSnags

StitchesandSnags Registered Guest

I seriously wouldn't be surprised if that's vinyl/ faux suede.