1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating sequined Colorama cardigan, 50's?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Robin of Frocksley, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Robin of Frocksley

Robin of Frocksley Registered Guest

I found this fabulous sweater and am hoping you experts can help me to date it.

Fully lined, lots of hand sewing (lining and label), round "pearl" buttons. A ton of hand sewn sequins and beads.

The only label reads "Colorama" and my Google skills haven't found anything. Any thoughts would be helpful, thanks!

20171128_130108.jpg 20171128_130145.jpg 20171128_130232.jpg 20171128_130347.jpg 20171128_130536.jpg 20171128_130602.jpg

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

3. Robin of Frocksley

Thanks! The label is one of the cutest I've found in while!

peaceful vintage likes this.
  4. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

The shape of the sweater is classic, but the color seems to me to be more 60's. Lovely find, indeed.
    Marian

Robin of Frocksley likes this.
  5. Robin of Frocksley

Thanks, Marian! The pics don't get the color quite right. The sweater is more of an "emerald green" rather than a "kelly green" if that makes sense? A more blue green rather than a yellow green, if that helps!

6. I agree with '60s for this one: the longer, boxy shape and the long sleeves. I've actually written a blog post about beaded cardigans and how to tell the difference between '50s and '60s ones (by the way, most of them are '60s as it was so popular to go to Hong Kong and buy a souvenir in that decade). You can see the blog post here if you're interested.

7. Robin of Frocksley

Thanks so much, Nicole! Your blog is fabulous!!

8. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

That was an awesome blog Nicole. You looked so pretty in that 1991 picture and I cannot believe how much you still look like that now. It's hard to believe that so much time has passed looking at you then and now.

Previously anytime I saw the Hong Kong label in cardigans like this I automatically thought 60s. Then I saw others showing similar cardigans saying they were 50s and saw similar cardigans in photos worn in the 50s and so I started dating mine 50s/60s but with the coloring of that label I would have thought this was 60s as Marian said too.
    Now knowing that information that was in your blog Nicole I obviously say 60s even more now.

That was so informative Nicole. You're pretty and smart Nicole. Pretty smart. :)

Robin of Frocksley likes this.
  9. Heh, thanks Caryn :wub::wub::wub:

It's very kind of you: 1991 feels like a lifetime away but you're right: apart from being older, plumper and pinker, I haven't changed much - plus I love vintage even more now!

There's a tendency to just view all beaded cardigans as '50s but they're still making them now. I was lucky in that I received a large batch of cardigans at the same time and as we were processing them (washing, mending, ironing) I started to notice all the differences and I thought how useful would it be to note them all down? There's nothing like having a collection of something to see the similarities and differences.

PS, this green cardigan is a really sensational colour. That shade was popular in the '60s and you can see why. It really pops. Heh, bet it would look great with my pink hair.

10. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

11. Enjoyed your blog on beaded cardigans immensely, Nicole (some of my favorite personal collection items are these lovely little works of art). Thanks for sharing with all of us. Much appreciated. :)

12. Great blog post, Nicole.

13. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

The word "Colorama" seems to be used almost like an adjective in various, unrelated 50s/60s clothing ads (including for a line of Arrow sport shirts!), but the "Colorama" line of sweaters made by Garland--all wool and in vivid colors-- seems like a distinct possibility for your label...

From 1960:
    [​IMG]

From 1964:
    [​IMG]

From 1962:
    [​IMG]

14. Robin of Frocksley

Fabulous, Carrie! Thanks so much!!

cmpollack likes this.
  15. Not only had I read your blog post already, Nicole, I nearly left the same comment I already left the first time around. Aging. Not for the faint of heart. You seem to be avoiding it completely. What's your secret?