1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating this, I know not what

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by acceber, Mar 31, 2021.

1. acceber

acceber VFG Member

It has accordion tulle along the back so I thought maybe it might be from the 50s, but what is it? Maybe a bridal bed jacket or something? It’s the oddest thing. It cinches at the arms with ribbon and also in the back. At the arms, it cinches on the inside of the arms, which I think is a little weird. It’s also very stiff, crispy and swishy sounding. I kind of regret getting it but it came in a lot. It also ties at the neck with a very unglamorous sort of cotton string instead of the blue ribbon it has elsewhere. What do you think? Thanks!

592D093E-61AA-4737-9F6E-63F949A5FE32.jpeg 24E5716F-B4C9-4F22-B8C9-17DBAB1464F5.jpeg 588280E4-18D4-4116-9C39-2F6521BFD971.jpeg 94BBE3C4-16CC-40E5-A615-69ED31F8AF8B.jpeg 4E834561-EE9D-474C-A74B-FBFB2B5708E4.jpeg 80D20CE1-ED76-481E-8B70-7A51FB6C3A5B.jpeg EAEF5C23-8147-42F7-9AE8-095C0CBF6B08.jpeg BBCBA124-18F7-4818-ADD1-0463830E1C20.jpeg

2. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

i see potential!!

i would hand wash it, just soak it in warm water first for a while. Rinse well. Then maybe soak with something like Purex with softener (or, I've successfully used gentle shampoo for some soaks). someone maybe starched it at some point if it's stiff now; that should be able to be soaked/lifted out. It should hang a lot nicer once it's softened up. or, if you like it stiffer, you can always starch her again.

and pretty sure that icky neckline string is just a replacement for the original ribbon that i'm sure matched the rest of it.

that lace fabric is divine, if you ask me! good luck with her!

Distantdetails and LaurenMG like this.
  3. acceber

acceber VFG Member

Thank you. I think it might be so stiff due to a combination of some kind of acetate fabric and the age of the lace. Maybe. I will try what you suggest. I cannot seem to find another one remotely like it on google. I might feel better about it if I did. As it is, I have an unreasonable dislike of it. lol

LaurenMG likes this.
  4. LaurenMG

LaurenMG Registered Guest

A christening or First Communion Short Sleeved StraitJacket? Could it be a wedding dress for one of those freaky Life sized toddler dolls?

5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

6. acceber

acceber VFG Member

It’s definitely a jacket of some kind. Very much like a bed jacket, only on steroids. It’s open all the way down the front and only closes at the neck. It’s definitely not for a child, unless it’s a very big child. I have my 16 year old holding it up in front of her as a gauge. It would come to just above her knee if she would actually put it on, which I do not see happening. lol

E29CC7B2-ED96-49F0-9418-D4F040601AD4.jpeg

7. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I can see this as the jacket to a frilly poufy 1950s to early 1960s pegnoir set. Yes, possibly bridal.

8. acceber

acceber VFG Member

I think you must be right. It really can be the only possible solution in my opinion. In googling short peignoir sets, the 50s to 60s is the only time frame that comes close to having poofy flouncy short lingerie. I didn’t see anything with this many bells and whistles but I think it must be a short robe.

GemGem and Distantdetails like this.
  9. LaurenMG

LaurenMG Registered Guest

Could it be maternity robe/peignoir?

GemGem likes this.
  10. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Could it be some kind of nursing jacket?

GemGem likes this.