1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating this pesant top?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Into the void, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Into the void

Into the void Registered Guest

It doesn't have any tags, but something tells me it isn't modern but I'm no expert. Anyways, Here are some pics. True color is closest to the batch on the mannequin a buttery yellow the sleeves have a delicate string that when you pull on it the sleeves tighten, the stitching is odd like nothing I've seen on a garment so maybe it was made using a different technique popular in other countries

Attached Files:

2. It looks like a kind of drawn thread work with embroidery. I agree that it looks early but hard to date: how are the seams sewn?

3. Into the void

Here are some more shots of some of the seam work and detail for some reason some of my pictures aren't showing up cuz it says they are too large for the detabase...

Attached Files:

4. Into the void

I have one more and it is refusing to upload of the side seam! Haha, still trying.. when you say early how early?

5. Yes, it does look like drawn thread work, plus I can now see smocking and are those seams hand stitched? It looks like a cotton cheesecloth. Well, what we in Australia call cheesecloth. I think it's called something else in the US. It was popular in the '70s but yours looks earlier. Hard to tell - if I could hold it I'd get a better idea. Maybe '30s? Maybe earlier? More photos please, especially of the seams (both sides).

How are the sleeves set in? Cut in one or raglan? Hard to see the shape and detailing, pity it's so crushed. Measurements might help too: bust, waist, shoulder width.

6. Into the void

So I took some pics this time with the shirt on me lol the seams under the arms that attach the sleeve appear to make a square patch under the arm. the shirt feels so soft and flouncy on it's like a dream, the sleeves are wide and somewhat short and then of course the string tapers the sleeve to the wrist. It is very sheer and does feel like a cheese cloth, not really feeling like a synthetic but I can not be too sure. The measurements flat are: 21.5 bust 20 waist and 22 on the bottom of the shirt near the bottom Hem

Attached Files:

7. Interesting. I associate the diamond gusset with the '50s and occasionally seen in the '30s but it's to provide more movement, so not common in loose garments like this. They could be an alteration to fix a damaged underarm but it's hard to tell.

Can you please describe how the seams are sewn? I can't tell from the photo - if you're not sure, please provide clear close ups.

StitchesandSnags likes this.
  8. Into the void

If it helps the diamond patch is on both underarms.... And here is a clear photo of the seams going down the side of the shirt

Attached Files:

9. I'm still having trouble seeing the seam and can't tell if it's machine or hand sewn. Good luck, hopefully someone else will chime in and help. I'm out of joy on this one. Without clear photos and descriptions there's only so much that I can know as I can't see it as you can, I'm dependent on your information for any helpful ideas I can offer.

10. Into the void

I know I'm sorry but for some reason half of my photos will not upload onto the server so I am really limited on what I can post. Idk why that is happening it's never happened before on here. I unfortunately don't know enough about sewing techniques to accurately describe to you what I see so I'm kinda stuck as well