1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating Vintage Handbags... Any Resources?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by lusciousvintage, Apr 13, 2008.

1. lusciousvintage

lusciousvintage Registered Guest

Hi All!

I have recently acquired a large lot of vintage handbags. Sadly, I am not as knowledgeable in dating handbags as I would like to be.

Some of the bags I feel fairly confident dating, but I have over 50 bags that I am just not sure about! I have gathered some info by googling, looking at the wares of other vintage sellers and by looking up trademarks. What I really need is a comprehensive time-line with photos that illustrate the popularity of various styles through the years!

So here is my question: Do any of you have a favorite resource for dating vintage handbags? If so, would you please share it? Any books, websites or guides that you could recommend would be super helpful!

Thanks for your help!
    Tara

2. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

3. BagDiva

BagDiva Guest

ditto all of the above...l'm mad about mags, and have quite a collection..if you post pics, l will help you...just post them here and l'll try and date them for you...
    do you have any 'riviera' or 'koret' or' b. berger' 'waldybag's 'milch' ? in there anywhere!??

4. I'm so glad you asked this question! I came home yesterday with a few darling purses and I'm always struggling to date them correctly~ Bookmarked the Bag Lady site - it's great!

Got some cute scarves too, Sara~ I'll post pics today hopefully:USETHUMBUP:

5. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

I learned a lot from Kate Dooner's "A Century of Handbags" (she has a nice book on lucite purses, too), and from Claire Wilcox's books (both called "Bags", I think, though the fatter edition is the more useful one...)

6. lusciousvintage

lusciousvintage Registered Guest

Thanks for all the great answers!

I too have bookmarked Bag Lady. I also just ordered one of the Wilcox Books.

Sara: Nope, none of the ones you mentioned. There are a couple by Morris Moskowitz, one by Jay Herbert, an Ungar, several fab tooled leather purses, some cute basket bags, some beaded purses, and lots more!

I don't have any pictures as of yet, but will def. post them if (ok...let's face it....when) I get stuck!

Thanks again for the awesome suggestions!