1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Davidson's Indianapolis?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by onceoza, Jan 29, 2012.

1. onceoza

onceoza Registered Guest

You all have been so helpful to me that I'm hoping you can come through again. I have this jumpsuit with a fringe skirt that only has a Davidson's Indianapolis label. No maker, fabric care, or size label. Looks discoish to me. Googling Davidson's only comes up with the Harley dealers.

Davidsons.jpg

Davidsons6.jpg

2. Rebecca McNamara

Rebecca McNamara Registered Guest

I am researching Davidson's as part of my work at the Indianapolis Museum of Art. From what I can tell so far, Davidson's is an Indianapolis-based clothing retailer. It was founded by Joe and Sarah Davidson in downtown Indianapolis sometime before 1930 (conflicting reports claim alternately before 1905 and in 1927) as Davidson's Indiana Fur Company (also referred to as Davidson's Furs and the Indiana Fur Co. Inc.).

By the late 1960s, it was owned by brothers Fred and Herb Davidson, who boasted top-of-the-line designers. Sometime before the late 1960s, the company had branched out into high-end women's fashions. In the late 1960s, Joan Davidson was the buyer for clothing merchandise and Herb and Fred purchased the furs (according to a 1968 article in The Indiana Jewish Post). Nellie Davidson (Fred's wife) later owned and was president of the store.

Davidson's moved outside of the downtown area to the Glendale Mall from about 1959, and remained in that mall until about 1994, when it moved to the Fashion Mall, both in Indianapolis. I believe it was still open as of 2001 and is no longer in business, though I have not yet been able to confirm a closing date.

Attached is a Davidson's label from a late 1960s Halston dress (IMA 80.267) in the Indianapolis Museum of Art's fashion arts collection.

PS_80-267_d02.JPG

GemGem, northstarvintage and onceoza like this.
  3. Rebecca McNamara

Rebecca McNamara Registered Guest

An update for anyone interested! More research has turned up that Davidson's was opened as the Indiana Fur Company in 1897 and was closed in 2002. I'm continuing to research this company's history, so stay tuned...

GemGem and foofoogal like this.
  4. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

That is a nice find. I can't get a really good look at the details in your photo. Can you try for some close up photos?

I get a sense it is pre Disco, more late 60s early 70s rock era. Can you tell a little about the fabric? Is it a polyester, a knit, a crepe, etc?

5. B shedd

B shedd Registered Guest

Wow was just looking online about the same store, I have several items still from them they belonged to my grandma. She was the top model for Davidson' back in the day and for the Indy 500.
    We lived right by the Glendale store inalways would hear stories about her modeling putting her thru college way back then haha..
    Her favorite story about wearing a green mink coat on st patty day for a ad and them dying her hair green! That was so very new and a big deal back then the way she told it.
    My grandma knew so many famous people from that era all from modeling and then later being offered a big job in auto racing and car dealerships, where she went on to become a big self made real state tycoon for a woman! Something not heard of in the early 60s late 50s.. all her fame and from that old and famous store.. She use to tell me people in Hollywood would even order their designs back then..

6. B shedd

B shedd Registered Guest

The store was always known as Davidson's on the Mall.

7. Jennifer Ward

Jennifer Ward Registered Guest

My grandparents were Fred and Nellie Davidson. I am doing some research on my family and their routes in Indianapolis and would love to connect with anyone who knows anything about the store especially in the earlier years. Thank you.

8. KikiM

KikiM Registered Guest

9. KikiM

KikiM Registered Guest

Hi, I was getting ready to post a vintage jumpsuit on Poshmark from Davidson’s and did a Google search to see if I could find any info and saw your post!

Attached Files:

Retro Ruth likes this.
  10. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Oh how fantastic! Its so amazing the reach of the vintage fashion guild and so lovely when we have family members illuminating the history.

KikiM likes this.
  11. Jennifer Ward

Jennifer Ward Registered Guest

My email is [email protected] if anyone wants to connect about Davidsons. my mom who was the buyer for the store for many years, Joan Davidson Abend Lives close to me, and could probably answer more questions. I could connect you

GemGem likes this.