1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion: As A Buyer - What Do You Look For?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by bartondoll, Jun 11, 2004.

1. crinolinegirl

crinolinegirl Alumni

>$20 for airmail!! Wow - I just sent 3 nurse uniforms to Germany and it was a total of $16.70 AIR MAIL!!

LOL, I know! It would have cost me about £2.00 (about $4.00) to ship the same brochure to him by airmail and that would have included insurance!

I just thought of it now but it's annoying when web sites only have one tiny little picture of an item. Even worse when it's isn't clickable to make it bigger! Even more annoying, when it's a high priced item and they only show the "good" side of an item.

Lei

2. poopoolooloo

poopoolooloo Registered Guest

I pretty much agree with what has been said but one of my first musts is the seller must accept PayPal. Shipping quoted in auction..has to have pictures, good pictures and good feedback. Short TOS.... I'm definitely guilty of black backgrounds.

3. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

Priority Mail for up to a pound is really still a good bargain for something going all the way to Alaska or Hawaii. I sold a necklace and vintage nighties to a gal all the way up in Nome. I couldn't have even made a phone call to her for that cheap : ) Don't tell the decision makers at the USPS that its still a bargain...they'll get funny ideas : )
    =============================================
    Now what about the items? Instead of auction formats and TOS making you impulse buy or what to look for....what is it about an item itself that makes you IMPULSE buy it if all other things are equal. (good feedback, no animations, etc) Is it truly all about the verbal presentation or does it have to do with. things you have watched for a week don't count. this is seeing it and buying/bidding all within a short amount of time.

1) rarity (or the holy grail of whatever you collect)
    2) Price
    3) auction ending time (will you pick one item over another to get the thrill of being online in the final moments, or only look at items ending in minutes? or are you strictly impulsive on BINS? I will say half my auctions are won by folks who proxy bid early on. Not so much on vintage clothing, but handbags, Boy scout stuff, glassware.. happens all the time.
    4) however the mood strikes...you weren't set out to buy when you logged on...but oh well!!

4. Patentleathershoes

Oh...and there are my most common impulse buyers "i have an event next week....i have been searching for the perfect thing and here it is..." if i can meet the time crunch, they are usually the most thrilled

5. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

Good points here!

I know I don't take full advantage of BINS and I think during the summer particularly BIN shopping is more
    prevalent, I know myself, I will click on the newly listed
    BINS a couple of times a day.

Another thing is that I'm thinking of doing more 5 and 3
    day auctions and going back to 5 and 7 dayers in the
    Fall and Winter. With so many people busy outside and cottages, etc., I think the shorter running auctions appeal to
    people.

I know several members of VFG do 3 day auctions right through now and have had good results with them.

Sue

6. Patentleathershoes

hmmmm...i did have success with 3 days awhile bacl. just don't know if i will take the leap. I kinda feel that after a hiatus, i am doing 7 to 10 days with BINs so that way people can still buy em up but it gives people a chance to see that i am back and have auctions...for doing 3 day auctions i would want to do a promotion - like have all my auctions say "3 day sale" et al, that way it builds up some more immediacy.

there is a lot of great ideas for sellers on this thread : ) Or just reminders of stuff we forgot about : )

7. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

What do some of you others think about 3 dayers?

Sue