1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you wear Vintage Eyeglasses? Any Pics?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by suzysparklesalot, Jun 20, 2010.

1. ivycompany

ivycompany Alumni

Not me, but a recent customer I blogged about on my b&m website just told me about a local optometrist who has a secret stash of NOS frames - check out her frames, and new hat, from my store!
    click the link below to my ivycompany store

2. funshinealy

funshinealy Registered Guest

great pics, ladies!

3. Sweetrockingal

Sweetrockingal Registered Guest

I live in San Diego but I usually make my way to LA. We met at the Santa Monica Fashion Expo I bought some tops from you I've been wanting to get to your shop you had some of the best stuff at the expo :)

4. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Wow, great photos! I can't find a pic of my mom wearing vintage frames right now - she has modern ones too and usually wears the vintage ones on special occasions.

Karin

5. ethanhunt3055

ethanhunt3055 Registered Guest

6. TangerineBoutique

TangerineBoutique VFG Member

Me with my newest glasses! I found them in brown AND black. One for regular lenses the other for sunglasses.

You know...I've worn vintage glasses since the 1970s!! Wire rims were the newest rage at the time and my grandmother gave me her old frames. They were gold filled, such nice quality. Come to think about it I probably still have them! I should have my current perscription put in them.
    Melody

7. morning-glorious

morning-glorious VFG Member

Melody, those are great!!

8. PodVintage

PodVintage Alumni

This is my little girl (10 months at the time) in a pair of my frames.
    [​IMG]

9. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Hi,

I want to say GREAT photos ladies! I love to see people wearing vintage glasses and shades!

I love antique eyeglasses but because I actually HAD to wear a pair of blue cats eye glasses when I was 5 years old...I will never wear them again and they look awful on me. My preferences over the past 20 years has been for 1920s, 30s and 40s eyeglasses with tortoiseshell frames, and I have a tortoise pair I call my Carole Lombard glasses. I also love to wear black, little round frames that remind me of Barton Fink! I also wear Victorian and Edwardian glasses when I lecture, especially the "pinche nose" type.

And I will try to get someone to take a photo of me in my all time favorites....my "Annie Sullivan" dark glasses from 1910, darkest ever, big round glass lenses and wire frames. But when I wear those I cannot see a darn thing unless I am in bright full sun!

:icon_dante:

10. BijouVintage

BijouVintage Alumni

I don't wear prescription glasses but I do wear vintage sun glasses..these are my faves:

11. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

If I'd kept the glasses they'd be vintage now -I'm holding them - taken in 1986:

[​IMG]

This was taken a couple of years ago and the glasses are vintage '70's frames. I'm still wearing them:
    [​IMG]

I had a wonderful pair of '60's Jackie O style French sunglasses but unfortunately the plastic failed and I had to toss them.

12. dorotheascloset

dorotheascloset Registered Guest

so many cute glasses, now I want to shop for more! wish I hadn't tinted this, but these are my pink aluminum glasses w/ clear lenses (maybe someday I'll need real!).....

[​IMG]

Ang

13. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

14. hot off the press is this photo taken today, with my new frames - and my adorable cousin Joshua. Not vintage frames, brand new Diors but they kind of have a '50s look (apologies for the blurriness).

Nicole

15. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Wow Nicole you look great. And your cousin is adorable.

As we are showing reproductions too, here one of me in my Lunors, that i wear when I'm going for a 19th Century look (not something many people aspire to I know!). Actually they're great subtle specs for every day too.

Lunor are a German company and make fantasic reproduction vintage spectacles, 19th and early 20th Century styles. I think they get used in films a lot. These have no nosepads, and even have the little loops on the end of the arms!

Ruth

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. LeDandy

LeDandy Registered Guest

Antique frames are the best! I've been buying coin silver frames and had no problems putting in prescription lenses. I also have octagonal 14k gold frames from about 1850 which I picked up online for $150. The small lens size really appeals to me and the craftsmanship back then was 10x greater than today.
    octglasses.jpg

Retro Ruth likes this.
  17. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

I have been wearing vintage frames, first as glasses and then, after Lasix, as sunglasses. I will try to find pictures but I've done 50s Art Craft frames, 60s hippie octagonal wire frames... right now I have some great huge 80s ones.

18. LeDandy

LeDandy Registered Guest

I also wear pince-nez and still have a website devoted to this eyewear called the Pince-Nez Renaissance. Please check it out. There are many varieties of pince-nez and the rimless variety are amazingly modern. I wear them during the work week and not many people notice. Those who do will start a conversation.
    portpic reduced.jpg

fp set2.JPG

19. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Cute !!!

poppysvintageclothing likes this.