1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone know anything about Sid Greene (of London)

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Impey, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Impey

Impey Registered Guest

So, I now have two Sid Greene of London dresses - very different in style. What they seem to have in common is great use of colour / patterns - I’m rapidly falling in love with this label and I’d really love to know more if anyone knows anything about Sid!

I’m thinking the green shift dress is 60s based on style, label (evoking Britishness!) terylene and metal zip (although the colour scheme is maybe more 70s?!) - the wearer would have been in her 30s then, so likely a little more conservative.

The peasant / gypsy style dress I’m guessing is mid to late 70s - but happy to be corrected. As you can see the label has changed slightly by then - and it has the full quota of composition and washing!

Anyway, as always would love your thoughts!

Impey

Attached Files:

2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Great dresses! I would put the second one firmly in the 70s, based on it's style. The other one could be late 60s. I know nothing of this brand, but I see quite a few items by it on Etsy, probably not all correctly dated. Most of it looks 70s, maybe late 60s, one or two may go into the 80s.

3. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

I had a look at a few of the dress labels I could fine on various sites. The label design seems to have gone through various stages.

'sidgreene Executive' looks to be an 80s version of the label, there seems to be an early version with just sidgreene of London on a beige goldy colour silky label. And then some labels with collaborations, always 'for' sidgreene, perhaps a time of expansion.

The label I'm most curious about is the one with the Union Jack, I could be way off but I'm wondering if it was the run up to the Silver Jubilee (1977)... I just remember Union Jacks on everything, everywhere! (I was born in 77, haha, so I rather remember all the talk of the silver Jubilee (and the commemorative coin I was given) than the actual experience). It was a great big celebration here, over 4000 street parties in London alone.

Midge and Retro Ruth like this.
  4. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I remember our Silver Jubilee street party! I would have been 8 years old. Long tables with tablecloths, and everyone in our street sitting at them to eat, is my main memory. I even remember eating coronation chicken. I expect there was bunting.

But Union Jacks are everywhere, so I don't know if there would be connection with that and the label. It's possible of course.

I've never come across this label.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
    GemGem likes this.
  5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I agree with 60s on the first and 70s on the 2nd. Cute dresses!