1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone know everyone about this brand , I can’t find anything online about it .

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Alexandria, Jul 24, 2021.

1. Alexandria

Alexandria Registered Guest

Hello , I have this really old jewellery box and there some markings, I can read one but can’t read the other .
    One of the markings say WULFRUN
    I have some photos too .
    Thank you

Attached Files:

2. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I am only guessing that the other mark says Pure Silver

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    GemGem likes this.
  3. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

That seems to fit, though it seems unusual to use silver for the lock/locking mechanism. The thing is, that company may just be the company that made these parts, but the company that made the box might be a different one.

cotmyey and GemGem like this.
  4. NylonNostalgia

NylonNostalgia VFG Member

Karin has a good point about using silver in a lock because silver is a relatively soft metal. If it is 'pure silver' then why wasn't it hallmarked? That way you'd get a date and place of origin.

This being a vintage fashion forum, knowledge-wise antique boxes are way out of my comfort zone, but I can tell you that Wulfrun was the old English name for the present-day city of Wolverhampton, in the English midlands, back in Anglo Saxon times. That's not to say the box is 10th century of course (if only!) but it might be a pointer to its place of origin.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
  5. Alexandria

Alexandria Registered Guest

Thank you , for helping me out . I will try and look into it more .
    Many thanks

6. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

There are/were a number of companies that use the name " Wulfrun so narrowed the search as best as I could.

"Wulfrun Safe Co Ltd " was a manufacture of safes but that was in later years, they produced simple locks and were acquired by Chubb a long time ago, turn of the century, although the safe company no longer exists, Chub continued using the name Wulfrun as a brand until the 50s.

Yours is a two lever lock made from brass or brass alloy plate, the lock name and who manufactured box are not connected in anyway or by area.

Your lock appears not to be contemporary because of old rebate cuts which makes dating a little more difficult if that is possible.

However it could also be the box in its past life has been forced and poor repairs undertaken.

Your box appears not to be solid rose or teak, the lining suggests late Victorian but imo leaning more to Edwardian.

Any chance of seeing several more photos of the box, back, sides, bottom, top, hinges and inside?

Alexandria likes this.
  7. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

EDIT, "the lock name and who manufactured box are not connected in anyway or by area",--unless they actually made the box and that would be rare.

8. Melanie Jane Louise

Melanie Jane Louise Registered Guest

My nana used to have one of these but it was a tea caddy..tea was very expensive and only the rich could effort such a luxury hence the lock on the box..

Alexandria and Midge like this.
  9. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Here is one I done earlier.

Boxes like Alexandria came in many shapes and sizes for all sorts of uses.

This box started life as a George 6th Cutlery Box a customer brought into me.

He had been doing the auction rounds and had picked up a couple of flint lock pistols in an earlier purchase, a while later he purchased this oak box and asked me to convert it to a lockable pistol box

Cutlery had long gone so I hadn't much of an issue tearing into it, unfortunately so had the key.

Photos 1234 is what it had looked like, photos 567, after I had finished.

Aside from showing off a little, I am making two-three points to confirm my earlier post.

The owner was convinced box was solid oak, nothing oak about it---well the very top of the lid was Oak veneer and the fret work around the escutcheon was oak but that was it, the rest, all oak stained pine, George 6th style.

Solid, Veneer and Stained wood can be difficult to detect with casual glances.

The lock photos I have must be on another HD but from my photo it is very similar to Alexandria's lock. If I recall correctly my lock had and ST stamp on it, without the Viner's name plate, it is easy to assume the lock maker and box manufacture are one and the same, they very-very rarely are but lock stamps can be useful for dating an item and the same can be said of purse. vanity cases mechanism stamps.

In my case the lock was brass, cheaply made, pin riveted, so the lock case couldn't be opened easily and was an odd size when trying to replace it.

In the end I couldn't get the correct size so took lock apart, one lever was bent so made a new lever out of brass and with a bit of filing made an old cupboard key fit and lock perfectly.

I have another which is in my work shop which I am converting to a rifle case for a customer.

It is a great pity in many respects because it started it's life as a surgeons field amputation case, it was in poor condition and is taking a huge amount of restoring and conservation but it will get another life.

Attached Files:

• 0.JPG
      0.JPG
      File size:
      50.2 KB
      Views:
    • 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      31.1 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG