1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone know of a foolproof way to remove mothball odors

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by blue-eyedcalico, Jul 17, 2004.

1. from sweaters and other vintage garments? Something preferable non-toxic?

thanks, Carol

2. Well, I don't know it, but I know someone here does. Bump!

Steph

3. worth-a-peek

worth-a-peek Alumni

I bought a bag of cat litter months ago to
    try it on 1 specific moth ball smelling dress.

I know 2 things that DIDN'T work.
    1. Hanging it outside in the garage in the dead of winter for 3 months.
    2. Hanging outside in the fresh spring air every day for a week.

:(
    Karen

4. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Am I the only person that finds mothball scent -- intoxicating? I LOVE that smell...

5. worth-a-peek

worth-a-peek Alumni

then I can send you a dress

6. Jonathan... you're kidding... right???

I suppose dry cleaning might get it out? but then I would have the dry cleaning vapors...

I tried hanging the sweaters out in the summer sun... didn't work.

Carol

7. Leisa

Leisa VFG Member

Dry Cleaning Does NOT remove that horrid odor. It helps, but then you still have to air it for ever. We hung some things in one of the store rooms with a fan & I spray tons of Oust in there every day. An ionizer may also help.

and Jonathan? ewwww!

8. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

I still try the arm and hammer freezer boxes enclosed in a container for mustiness, but i can't say for moth balls...i will look it up and see what i find though....

Jonathan, you better watch out, now that we know that - people may start sending you bags of stuff : )

9. crinolinegirl

crinolinegirl Alumni

I'm with Jonathan on this, I love moth ball smell too :)

For my 1930's jacket though, it STUNK when I first got it. I mean , the moth ball smell made your eyes water and is coming from someone who likes the smell.
    I left it everyday outside spread out of the laundry rack in the blazing sun and heat being careful to turn it over regularly to it didn't get uneven sun fading.
    It did get rid of most of the smell though.

Lei