1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dorothy Ward Label & Astor For Pat Buckle

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by LilyLilac, Jan 1, 2019.

1. LilyLilac

LilyLilac Registered Guest

Hello
    Does anyone know anything about this label and the buckle? I am guessing the dress is 50s or 60s. Not too sure when crimpolene went out of fashion! Thought the markings on the back of the buckle were unusual.

Attached Files:

themerchantsofvintage likes this.
  2. vintagevixen

vintagevixen VFG Member

LilyLilac likes this.
  3. LilyLilac

Many thanks, for some reason I thought crimplene was a much earlier material .

4. 196t's

196t's Registered Guest

I agree, the hemline is way too short for a 1950s dress.

5. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

6. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I just did a fast search and found only these three references to Dorothy Ward LTD. When I clicked on each of the links, I found even less information than you see here. Note in the last citation that Dorothy Ward LTD sold mail order dresses.

DorothyWardLTDMailOrderDresses.jpg

7. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

From THIS SITE we learn that:

"A little further along Benfleet Road was Ballard Bros. shopfitters, who began their business there in the late 1940s/early 1950s...On the opposite side of the road was Dorothy Ward Ltd, a mail order house which had also been there since just after the war. The Directors of this company were all local people, Mr John W Carr had lived in Benfleet since 1924 and the business was named after his wife, Mrs Dorothy A Carr (nee Ward). In more recent years the building was demolished and La Quinta Restaurant was built there."

8. LilyLilac

Thank you so much for your answers, always interesting to read the history. I remember my grandmother having a catalogue but it was named Marshall Ward.

lkranieri likes this.
  9. Hoxton Arcade

Hoxton Arcade Registered Guest

10. Hoxton Arcade

Hoxton Arcade Registered Guest

Above are a couple of adverts for Dorothy Ward mail order fashion - one from the Daily Sketch in 1958, and another from the Daily Mail in 1979. Interestingly the fashion style seems unchanged!