1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dress by Ordnance Survey... (new label alert Lizzie!)

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by Noir*Boudoir, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Noir*Boudoir

Noir*Boudoir Guest

Perversely enough, I'm trawling through a backlog of summer stuff to hawk in the Mall lately. Let's hope some vintage lovers from the Southern hemisphere happen along.

I picked this off the rack because I saw the map first. I love maps (pleasant assocations with hill-walking, rampaging around on horseback and general atlas-poring on quiet afternoons).

So although the style isn't quite my thing (a little two mid-eighties summer meadow - and if I'm anything, it's not mid-eighties-summer-meadow), I'm really rather fond of this dress. Especially because the Ordnance Survey map it reproduces is the countryside around Uffington hill (where the prehistoric chalk horse/dragon/whatever is). Lots of tumuli!

[​IMG]
    Difficult to get a good shot, as it won't fit on my dress form!

[​IMG]

I've seen restrained bidding flurries happening around 'English Eccentrics' dresses on Ebay, so I Googled them a little. Turns out they've got (or have had) a very interesting textile designer. I think I'll try and track down her book in the library before I put this on sale - might have some more relevant info, you never know!

Anyway, I thought someone else might have some input on this label, so please chip in (and if not, at least you might find it interesting!)
    I wrote a preliminary entry for the label resource, so crits of that are very welcome.

Ah for the green hills... (ok, ok, I'll stop now).

Lin

-----------------------------------------------------
    English Eccentrics

English Eccentrics was founded by two friends, Judy Littman and Claire Angel, in 1982. Their early designs used innovative prints and their bohemian-themed collections still showcase decorative fabrics and rich ornamentation.

Judy Littman’s sister Helen David (neé Littman) designed many textiles and garments especially for the partnership. Typically using intense, saturated colours on decadent fabrics, she cites her influences as travel, art history, philosophy, and ecological and social causes. Helen David has published her textile work in "English Eccentrics: The Textile Designs of Helen Littman" and has more recently exhibited her mixed media fine art works in London.

(The modern label is a black background with what looks like gold or white, by the way)

2. Noir*Boudoir

Noir*Boudoir Guest

Oh, and for anybody within reach of North London:
    -----------------------
    Another side to designers
    FOR anyone who has ever covetously run their fingers over the expensive but desirable English Eccentrics clothing and scarves, a trip to their HQ will show you another side to their work. Based in the old Edwardian sorting office in Kentish Town, company designer Helen David has put together a group show of work by artists cheekily calling themselves the Kentish Town Group, in reference to the Camden Town Group. It is also a convenient title for a group of friends who have known each other since their days at the Royal College. The exhibition includes paintings by Christopher Brown and Helen David and some sculpture. It runs until November 23 at the Old Post Office, Leighton Road, Kentish Town, from 11am to 7pm.
    --------------------

3. bigchief

bigchief Alumni VFG Past President

Lin -

I remember that label - it's from the same time period (and this dress is reminiscent of) Workers For Freedom, isn't it? And ditto to

"...although the style isn't quite my thing (a little two mid-eighties summer meadow - and if I'm anything, it's not mid-eighties-summer-meadow), I'm really rather fond of this dress." :)

The bio seems perfect to me. Excellent!

Carolyn

4. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

Fall is just starting for us here...it is a chilly 65 degrees at night...but in the 80s still during the day. In about January, we have about 3 weeks where it is in the 50s but that is it, and then it climbs back in the 70s and 80s So I am always looking for summer fare :)

In fact, though, I think it skews my perception because i forget that its cold most other places. I am in for a shock when i go up north to visit my parents though!! A big shock indeed!

5. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

and btw, a dress with maps all over it is not ho-hum at all!

6. Noir*Boudoir

Noir*Boudoir Guest

Carolyn - of course, Workers for Freedom - I've never come across any of their stuff 'in the cloth', so I didn't think of it. But it does seem to have emerged from the same early-mid-eighties socially aware trend. The English Eccentrics styles are still very interesting, but I think it's definitely one of those labels that has grown up with its clientele.

Chris, I forget what it's like in the 'tropics' (lol!) - it's been miserable here for the last few days, and I'm well into the woollen layers wardrobe... I'll fiddle with this listing for a while (take more photos of the maps!), and I have a few crisp shirts from my W1 department store lady to go up - I do want to maintain a 'summer' category properly.
    L

7. That is very unique. Be sure to put "novelty print" in the title. That always works for me.