1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dress dating help .. again

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Tamzzyn, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Tamzzyn

Tamzzyn Registered Guest

Only a few more left :)

Could someone help me with this dress? I'm leaning towards late 30s? There are no shoulder pads but there are shoulder pad-like things in the chest area where the breasts lay. They are stuffed with lumpy, sandy stuff (no idea what it is). The dress is lined with lots of jewels which are covered by a layer of lace. It's very hard to photograph (especially without lighting set up etc) and the dress is too small to fit on my mannequin (I have issues with getting small dresses with side zippers to fit on it).

Thanks!

17670714_10156086690034768_2139337923_o.jpg 20170924_195755.jpg 20170924_195833.jpg 20170924_195850.jpg

2. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

Very pretty! With that full skirt I'm seeing 50s. The pads were probably to enhance the bust and the filling has disintegrated over time. I've seen that in vintage swimsuits from this era.

Tamzzyn likes this.
  3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I am not sure without handling it but I do think it could be late 40s or early 50s.

Tamzzyn likes this.
  4. Tamzzyn

Tamzzyn Registered Guest

Thank you :) I see the 40/50s too. The reason I thought it may be earlier is because the person that I bought it from said her grandmother (or great) got engaged in it during the 20s. I know that it's not 20's so I thought she was off by a decade .. maybe by two?

5. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

It's amazing how often those kind of stories are misremembered! I always take them with a big pinch of salt.

Tamzzyn likes this.
  6. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

That mistaken sort of dating happens quite often. I have had that happen to me several times, one particular situation I had that was especially difficult as the lady had stated she had worn it to her daughter's wedding in the 1950s when she spoke to me on the phone about the clothing.
    When I arrived, she had this really horrid 1970s bubble gum pink polyester full length gown from a very low end manufacturer and still insisted that she wore this dress in the 1950s. I did not purchase it but it was hard to hear her repeat the fact it was from the 50s as I do believe she was convinced she had worn it then.

Tamzzyn likes this.