1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dress/gown dating help

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Tamzzyn, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Tamzzyn

Tamzzyn Registered Guest

Hi all :) I have a fair few items that I would love help with :) I stumbled across an estate sale today that had lovely things , although many not perfect, but super cheap!

The first item is this satin dress/gown. It looks better in real life than the photo but there is some fading issues on the back, nevertheless, it was only a few $e so couldn't say no. Could anyone tell me anything about it? My initial thoughts are that it is from either the 30s or 40s? Is it a dress, and if so, when would of it been worn? Or is it more of a house-robe type thing!

received_10157443872004768.jpeg received_10157443872039768.jpeg received_10157443872084768.jpeg received_10157443872099768.jpeg

2. Yes, it looks like a '40s house coat, but a nicer than most one. I'd have trouble leaving it behind too, if it was inexpensive.

Tamzzyn likes this.
  3. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I agree with Nicole. It does have some colour fade but on these purple/navy items the pink works rather well with it! (I've even seen buyers asking for fade in this colour way) sometimes they are tagged Ombre. It was for inside wear originally but they work well as evening dresses today.

Tamzzyn likes this.
  4. Robin of Frocksley

Robin of Frocksley Registered Guest

Love it! I am a fan of these, you got a fabulous deal!!!

Tamzzyn likes this.
  5. Tamzzyn

Tamzzyn Registered Guest

Thanks all :) I thought it looked like a house coat but thought it looked a bit formal to be one! It's lovely what people wore then, even just hanging around in their houses!

6. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

The nicer, more formal ones were often called hostess gowns.
    Marian

Tamzzyn likes this.
  7. Luna Junction

Luna Junction VFG Member

That's quite a find, faded or not!

Tamzzyn likes this.