1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dress with Jacket

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by rfc100, Dec 4, 2004.

1. rfc100

rfc100 Registered Guest

I just got into vintage clothing, and I'm learning quickly, but if it doesn't have a tag or isn't very characteristic of one era or another, I'm lost. Aside from shoe dating problems, I have a dress I can't date that is absolutely stunning and unique (at least to me). It has no tags. Can someone please tell me how old they think it is, why, and the approximate value? Thanks!

2. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

Do you have a picture of it you can post? If you reply to this message by pressing "post reply" at the bottom of my message versus the one next to the gray box, there should be a button at the bottom where you can upload a photo. Otherwise, you can copy the link if you have a photo hosting service.

Inkfrog is a two week free trial at http://www.inkfrog.com if you have a lot of things you want to ask about and want access to a picture service.

Chris

3. rfc100

rfc100 Registered Guest

Dress w/out date

The beading is pearls with silver tube-like beads (name?)surrrounding them.

4. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Really high waists come in and out of fashion from the late 50s - early 70s, but the pearl trim, length and type of material are all typical of the mid-late 60s, so I would say somewhere in the 1966-1968 span. Its not MOD, its just a society version of MOD. Think BIG hair and little gold square toed shoes with it. As for a value. I have had luck and disasters with this type of dress. You could get anywhere between $25.00 and $85.00 for it, probably not more unless it had a good label.

5. I would say about 1967 , too. Very pretty and with the color, very Christmasy.

6. Leisa

Leisa VFG Member

What's the fabric under the beads?

Is it polyester? Sorry - but I'm just getting furtive glances of it at work. LOL

7. I sold a dress reallllyyy similar in cut recently. Mine was gold brocade and chiffon and sold in the $60 range. According to Sellathon, lots of searches for the keyword "Babydoll". I think the look is coming back, sweet and innocent!

8. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

Hi! Yes, definitely use "babydoll" in the title.

The tuble like beads are called "bugle beads".

This is great for partying this time of year!

Sue

9. rfc100

rfc100 Registered Guest

The dress is wool, and it comes with a little jacket with the same pearls & bugle (thanks Sue!) beads.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Rachel

10. rfc100

rfc100 Registered Guest

The dress is wool, and it comes with a little jacket with the same pearls & bugle (thanks Sue!) beads.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Rachel

11. Hattysattic

Hattysattic VFG Secretary

very nice!!

harriet;)