1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dying a vintage crepe rayon

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by missdeadlyv, Feb 12, 2013.

1. missdeadlyv

missdeadlyv Registered Guest

Morning!

I have found a 1930s black crepe rayon dress with a gorgeous starburst-pintucked bodice. It has a constellation pattern of tiny rhinestone chips throughout the front. The problem is that the textile is faded throughout in such a way that it appears as a black flecked with brown.

I'd like to redye it black, and am not adverse to the restretching this will require, but I've never dyed anything with rhinestones and am wondering if this will destroy the decoration. My alternate idea would be to hand-color the dress with a textile paint pen.

Have you run into this problem before? What would you suggest? -- I'd really like to restore this piece myself -- preferably without ruining it :)

Here's a pic of the dress

[​IMG]

thanks!
    Betsy

2. cactusandcattails

cactusandcattails VFG Member VFG Past President

Getting this rayon crepe wet would probably ruin it due to shrinkage.

But I have dyed items with rhinestones before with no problem. I would certainly test a small area first though.

3. I agree with Brenda - I don't see the rhinestones as being problematic but you'll need to immerse the rayon crepe which will shrink it. As you say, you could reshape and stretch but that will likely weaken the fibres and they may rip, as well, you may not be able to return to the size.

I like your idea to hand colour it with a textile pen - being black, it should hide any slight discrepancies in colour.

Great dress! Love the starburst and rhinestone treatment, very dramatic.

4. missdeadlyv

missdeadlyv Registered Guest

Thanks so much, Brenda & Nicole, for dropping in and advising me! Good to know that the rhinestones are not at risk. I've had to wash some stained crepes before and personally never had any issues whilst re-stretching (just-warm iron on dry fabric) but those were items that were goners otherwise. Given what you said, Nicole, I'll do the pen first before dumping it into a dye bath. Thanks, ladies!

5. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

A important reminder about rayon is that it is weaker when wet and if you stretch it while wet, it may tear.