1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Elizabeth Arden HELP!!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by inkedpalm, Aug 22, 2007.

1. inkedpalm

inkedpalm Registered Guest

Good morning everyone!

I've been MIA most of the summer. My father passed away after a long illness, and quite frankly it took all the emotional muster I could gather just to keep my ebay store alive. I also closed my spot in our local antique shop...and well, I'm a tad exhausted.

Anyhoo...today I will be auctioning on ebay this Elizabeth Arden dress I came across a few weeks ago at an estate sale. As usual, I am stumped as how I can describe it. I believe it is dated 60's but not really sure. It is made of metallic material (no fabric tags) and I have added the signature tags below.

Any help would be highly appreciated on description and fabric. I am also lost as to starting bid and such, but not sure anyone can help me there.

I do want to give this gorgeous dress justice. The only thing amiss with it is one button on the back.

Thanks,
    Nadine

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. mcgrawandmcqueen

mcgrawandmcqueen Registered Guest

Hi Nadine
    I am so sorry to read about your father passing away.I hope there are happy memories to sustain you during this sad time .

In regards to your dress, I think the must important thing to note is that this is a dress designed Pauline Trigere sold by Elizabeth Arden. Is that metallic lace on the upper arm? Is the skirt a lame fabric or brocade? Metallic brocades, lames (flash in general) have been selling well, but then this is a Trigere so some collector will want it.
    The date has me perplexed, I was thinking 70's but the puffed arm throws me off a bit.
    I am sure you will do well with this.
    -Lorinda

3. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

I agree the Trigere label needs to be featured in the title. This is flashier than a lot of her work, but the use of the fabric design is very much her speed.

You may want to search Trigere in completed auctions and see how they are finishing.

Is there a Union Label? that may help with 60s or 70s.

Hollis

4. inkedpalm

Thank you, Lorinda, in regards to my dad.

Ok, yes, now that I look closer at the dress, it is metallic lace on the upper part of arms. I do believe the skirt is lame, I am more familiar with brocade. The skirt is blue lace and the flowers are metallic fibers woven to make the pattern.

I appreciate the input. Maybe someone will come in and help date this.

Nadine

5. inkedpalm

Hollis,

Duh, I tell you it was a good idea to come here for help. I did find the Union Label. It states ILGWU AFL-CIO but my resource only tells me that the date can be from 1955 - 1995. Would a photo help? Or is there a way to define different Union Labels by the look?

Nadine

6. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

Nadine--

My deepest sympathies on the loss of your dad--hope you will be able to do some quiet reflecting now and get the rest you need to think about returning to former projects and pursuits...

Definitely feature Pauline Trigere in your title! And the dress looks more 70s than 60s to me also.

Are those zippers in the sleeves, or am I hallucinating them? Very cool, if so...

Also, the fabric in the bodice/upper sleeves (maybe silver/gold metallic lace overlay on some sort of lining in the bodice, and left sheer in the sleeves?) looks like it could be slightly different than the blue fabric in the bottom of the gown and sleeve (maybe a jacquard--ie motif or pattern woven into the fabric--with metallic lace overlay?)

7. inkedpalm

Carrie, thank you.

I have been writing a book for 4 years and my dad being the central figure in my life meant lots of time talking with him, getting information and history. Wonderful times, but bitter sweet also. He was quite a colorful man. I will miss him. Thank you.

Yes, aren't those sleeve zippers just wonderful!

The blue fabric on bottom of skirt and at elbows down is blue lace intertwined with metallic gold and silver threads, I just do not know how to put that into words. :)

I like the "metallic lace overlay" that sounds like it looks.

Thank you,

Nadine

8. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Nadine,

I am very sorry to hear of your loss and I am sure your dad's wonderful spirit will be guiding you when you feel strong enough to get back to the work you had started with him.

The dress is lovely and yes you should definitely put the emphasis on the Pauline Trigere label, I think it is from the 1980s myself.

9. inkedpalm

Thank you Mary Jane,

I will most DEFINITELY make sure the Trigere label.

Nadine

10. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

Nadien - I join the others in expressing sympathy over your Dad's passing.

Would THIS SITE help you narrow down the Union label? Good luck!

11. inkedpalm

Thank you, regarding my dad. I appreciate.

And yes, that is a helpful site, actually has the labels.

Nadine

12. vintageclothesline

vintageclothesline VFG Member VFG Past President

Nadine, so sorry about your loss.

Have you checked our label resource. There is a Trigere label just like yours from a dress late 60s, early 70s. Click up at the top of this page where it says labels.

13. inkedpalm

Hey lady! :hiya:

Thank you.

I've added the 60's 70's info on my ebay listing. Yep, I checked out the labels, exactly the same.

*crosses fingers*

Nadine

14. thevintagebungalow

thevintagebungalow VFG Member

Nadine,
    So very sorry about your Dad. I lost my Dad a year ago April. It can be so unbearable. It does get easier but it takes time. My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family.

15. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

The fabric starting with the sleeves. The blue on the lower part of the sleeves looks sheer since you can see through it. It could be chiffon or georgette. Georgette is a little crepier than chiffon.

On the skirt, is the metallic on top of the blue? Is the blue the same fabric as the lower sleeve or perhaps a satin? If the blue is the same as the sleeves, is there another layer under it so you can't see through the skirt?

The seam at center back on the skirt appears perfectly matched at the top, but not the bottom. This is probably because the design on the fabric changed. Are there seams on the side? If not, mention that there is only a single seam at center back.

I'll check back in the morning. Claire

16. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

I looked at the top again. It appears that the flower motifs on the skirt have been cut out an appliqued around the neck. This is expensive to do, even on lace. Even those who might not notice it at the outset will be impressed that this detail was added. Claire

17. inkedpalm

Hi Claire,

Thank you for you input, appreciate. The dress does have side seams. As far as the blue fabric and the metallic...the metallic threads are woven into this very fine kind of honeycomb lace. And yes, the fabric of the blue is the same. Very delicate and I am surprised the dress is in such wonderful condition.

I found some very informative sites on the designer of this dress and was able to garner some nice descriptions, as well as the one's I've been given here. The rest is just up to fate. :)

Nadine

18. inkedpalm

CARRIE!

Thank you for your thoughts. My Dad held a very special place in my heart, and always will. I do give in to times of weeping, but for me it is good, a washing of the soul.

Nadine

19. camelbackcat

camelbackcat Alumni

What a dress ! And a Trigiere too! Fabulous.

My sympathy to you on the loss of your dad. My dad died 9 years ago and I miss him still but am so happy to have had his love and his colorful character in my life. I'm sure your memories of your dad will bring both tears of joy and tears of sadness to your eyes.

One step at a time. It's the only way.
    hugs,
    joey

20. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

Hi Nadine,

one day at a time, one moment at a time. time is, truely, the best healer. my best to you as you re-learn to breathe again...

here is a direct link to your auction I'M WATCHIN' FOR YOU!! good luck w/her!!