1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Embarrassed to Admit...

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by nostalgic*collections, Oct 20, 2009.

1. nostalgic*collections

nostalgic*collections Registered Guest

Embarrassed to Admit: I wore MC Hammer (aka harem pants) and thought they were cool.

What are your embarrassed to admit??

2. hehehehe! Now THAT would be telling! :embaressed:

3. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

brown and white plaid hip hugger elephant bellbottoms with platform sandels.

and that's all I am talking about.

Hollis

4. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Awwww, loads...! I was pretty fearless til I was about 16. One of the worst I guess were stirrup pants. In black & white houndstooth check *shudder*. Or how 'bout a shell suit? Cycling shorts with a jeans-look print? Bodysuits? Too short bellbottoms? A bright purple fanny pack? You name it... And don't talk about some of the haircuts I had! Gladly, my mom has most of those photos :spin: .

Karin

5. nostalgic*collections

OMG, I know about the biker shorts. Someone posted a photo of me in biking shorts on facebook. Leave it to your friends to keep photos like those! Oh, Karin, I bet we could compare bad hairstyles, too!

6. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

i can top that. back in the very back of a drawer, I have a pair of bright blue spandex or lycra longer bike shorts with a white and black taxi print down the sides. WAY WAY back in the drawer.

This is for you, btw

I always thought harem pants sort of only came to below the knee?

Anyway...this picture is just for you..

[​IMG]

7. nostalgic*collections

That is so funny! Love it ;) And the big shoulder pads, too!

8. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Headband, but only twice, and it was 1982...

9. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

jonathan, the ones that were worn across the forehead rather than in the hair?? i had a roommate, Julie, that was TOTALLY into those after that Olivia Newton John video, what was that? Let's Get Physical? or something? she (Julie) bought a new headband every week for about 3 months after that ~

heh heh heh

10. nostalgic*collections

Glad she was inspired by Olivia and not Richard Simmons Sweatin to the Oldies!

Ooops, did I just admit something else?? I'll never tell. :headbang:

11. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

It was inspired more by Corey Hart and Duran Duran than Olivia Newton John.... but it did involve too tight jeans and a blouson leather jacket too..... THere are no pictures however so don't even ask.

12. nostalgic*collections

Its ok. I was going to marry ANY of the guys on 21 Jump Street. Still waiting for that on DVD........

13. Patentleathershoes

I can see where one could be inspired by Duran Duran because they were everywhere... but...Umm... I think I need to raise my hand in class. Wasn't Corey Hart a one or two hit wonder...so...umm...wasn't he just not around long enough to really inspire fashion sense? Oh yeah - that Sunglasses at Night thing... So I guess you tripped a lot.

yes...blouson and leather in the same thought/sentence...:help:

Ah, no pictures...well...there is photoshop... you could photoshop Corey Hart sunglasses and a Duran 'do on your picture and maybe that would give us a good idea of how that all panned out...

14. Patentleathershoes

I would have probably wanted to borrow the shoes.

15. Ookoo

Ookoo Registered Guest

Uh oh. I still wear platforms. :BAGUSE:

16. Oh goodness! Let's see,,,,acid wash jean jacket, jeans with zippers at the ankles, double or triple layer socks in different colors, baby blue reebok aerobics hightops :BAGUSE:

17. Patentleathershoes

Do I dare ask if they were worn sort of splayed open and untied with those short curly laces that ended right after the top eyelet? Or were your original laces replaced with neon colored ones?

18. missproper

missproper Alumni

Haha, yes, my good friend was OBSESSED with Hammer Pants, and she had them in every color!

19. boncly

boncly VFG Member

Scooter skirts. I made one and had two others in double knit.

[​IMG]

I made the one on the right - the red one (note the matching, um "panties" for lack of a better term) from this exact pattern. And I wore it to school. In public. :BAGUSE:

I had a teeny tiny hiney back then.

No photos exist. Life IS good.

Anonymous :hysterical:

20. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

:clapping: hehe, I'm having a good laugh here - just what I need after a terrible day at work! Mhhh... I just remember another thing - very wide pants that ended just above the ankle... ca. 1991 :BAGUSE: .
    Oh yes, and my favourite combination piece for the jeans-print biking shorts was a tie-dye t-shirt :duh2: .

Scooter skirts - haven't heard the term before, I admit, but they look ultra cute!

Speaking of headbands - does anyone remember those knit winter caps that consisted basically a knit tube and a head band to keep the tube in place? I think I even wore that for skiing.

Karin