1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Embroidered silk robe - dating

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by realityspace, Sep 19, 2019.

1. realityspace

realityspace Registered Guest

Hello,

I have a silk housecoat with embroidery, no tag. Does anyone know what decade this is from? It has a few stains, but it’s lovely.

Photos show the front and back of the robe, and several details. It has small shoulder pads sewn in, one front pocket and a single snap closure.

Let me know if you need more details or photos. The photos uploaded out of order... the full front and back photos are toward the end.

Thanks!

Melissa

Attached Files:

2. realityspace

Also, it is lined.

3. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

It looks late teens to me but you said it has shoulder pads? That's odd, otherwise the style with the wide collar, patch pocket, length, flare, sleeve width etc. all point to c. 1918-1920

4. realityspace

Thank you! Here are pictures of the shoulder pads. They are triangular, the same fabric as the robe, and tacked into place. Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

5. realityspace

Also, is there any way to tell where it's from? China or Japan?

6. realityspace

Hi Jonathan,

I don't want to take up your time, so I want to let you know I discovered that the shoulder pads are not original. They are sloppily constructed, unlike the rest of the piece.
    Thanks!

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  7. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I am seeing something more recent when I look at this 1950s.

8. realityspace

Thanks, Mary Jane. What about it makes you think 50s?

9. I too see later with the big shawl collar and higher waist. Along with the snap closure

10. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

As Suzanne mentioned, the collar, the snap, and also the embroidery which does not seem as fine to me as it would have been on an older piece.
    As far as from where it came from that is difficult as it not what we usually see from either China or Japan as far as the styling goes.

I wonder if someone may have purchased the silk embroidered fabric and had it made into this lounging gown.

11. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

THe shoulder pads are later - so its probalby late 40s-early 50s then. It's hard to tell without handling it, but the style woudl work for both periods - it's Chinese workmanship.