1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

estate ephemera score!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by roquelaure, Jun 7, 2008.

1. roquelaure

roquelaure Registered Guest

i decided to stop at an estate sale before work this morning on a whim, and walked away with six issues of Vogue from 1923 for two bucks a pop, including the annual Paris Fashions Number issue with reports from the latest openings in Gay Paree from Chez Worth, Patou, Lanvin, Poiret, and of course- Mme. Chanel, AND a 1935 Harper's with a cover by Erte!

My intention was to frame the cover and some of the full page sketches from the Vogues, but I don't think I can bear to take the pages out now.

2. JulieW

JulieW Alumni

wow!
    would love to see pictures.

3. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

NICE! What a treat to find those - and at a great price. I can understand wanting to frame the art and at the same time not wanting to desecrate the original publications.

4. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

Well, if you look at what these sell for on eBay, you might think twice before taking them apart! I bought some recently for $20 each and THAT was a bargain!

The covers are wonderful. Maybe you could get then scanned and framed.

Lucky you!

Lizzie

5. worth-a-peek

worth-a-peek Alumni

Great score on your Vogues!

Lizzie had the perfect suggestion.
    I've had great copies of color and B&W full page ads made at a
    smaller quick copy place (not one of the big boys) for a couple bucks.
    I have them use a heavier weight paper and they are suitable for framing.
    Not the real thing but then you still have the mag to peruse.

6. thevintagebungalow

thevintagebungalow VFG Member

7. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

8. vintageclothesline

vintageclothesline VFG Member VFG Past President

I usually only find these in antique malls or on ebay. I would do what Lizzie said!

Great find!

9. dorotheascloset

dorotheascloset Registered Guest

Fantastic!!!! I loooove old Vogues but can rarely find them, the only ones I have a pre-war 40s.

Congrats!

Ang

10. vertugarde

vertugarde Alumni

If your copies are in good condition I would recommend that you should not remove the pages. They are collectable and if you want to sell them in the future they will fetch a good price. Here's the scoop;

http://tinyurl.com/3okpfd

11. roquelaure

roquelaure Registered Guest

the people running the sale said that they hadn't even gone into the attic yet and it was still "packed to the ceilings" with books and magazines- part two is going to be this saturday. this time, i'm taking my cheque book!

i decided if i find more that are on ho-hum condition, i'll clip and frame. if they are all still in tact and in the shape of the ones i have, i'll scan them. i finally dug out my ancient scanner at work- i'll definitely post some pics later this week!

12. :wow22:

What a great score....I am sooooo jealous!!

Definitely copy on heavier stock and frame!! You will regret not doing so.