1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Evelyn Barton Brown

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Charapa, Oct 9, 2005.

1. Charapa

Charapa Registered Guest

The reason I ended up here is I've been trying to date/price a donation to my thrift store. Got in several pieces all labeled 'Evelyn Barton Brown - Washington DC'. Couple of pretty conservative blouses, a bizarre multi-piece dress/robe combo, and a beautiful paisley-esque ankle length skirt.

When I googled the lable the only hit I got was for a vintage store in Traverse City, Michigan but the site appears to be defunct. Truthfully, I'm new to the whole vintage business, so I couldn't say much more than they look...well, vintage.

Anyway, anyone ever heard of the label? Any idea to its general value?

2. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

Do you have a picture of the item and the label (you can scan the label on the computer or if you can get a clear camera shot)

It is hard to say about dates, or anything else without it.

I am not familiar with the name but could have been a boutique in washington DC.

"value" really depends on what someone is willing to pay and that boils down to condition, cut, style, etc. There are collectible labels, but if not, like I say, style, and all the other factors would play into it. (as far as either modern desire for wearability or historical/era value)

Chris

3. Charapa

Charapa Registered Guest

I wish I had a pic. At the moment I am cameraless. :no:

But I suppose I could scan the label. (Thanks! :eureka: ) But that'll have to wait as I am happily enjoying a rare day off. lol

4. Patentleathershoes

ok.

Enjoy your day off.

and when you can get a photo..either borrow a digital camera or take a regular poloraid or photo and scan it, post it :)

5. Charapa

Charapa Registered Guest

Well, I found an old digital camera, but have had no end of problems with it. All I have left are a couple of flashless pics from when the batteries were dying.

I DO, however have some fine scans of the labels. One of them is OVER another label (Martieri) which makes me wonder if these are just personal labels, or that of the boutique which sold them...

Anyway, the skirt:

[​IMG]

And it's label:

[​IMG]

Now, here's the label from this weird robe, skirt, 3 piece (plus some) outfit:

[​IMG]

Notice the 'Martieri' label underneath. I wish I had a pic of this one, but the only pic left on the camera is hardly seeable. Oh, what the heck, I'll put it up anyway.

[​IMG]

So, any ideas? We also got a beautiful feather hat in yesterday, but I'll put that on another thread.

:)

6. Patentleathershoes

I would say Evelyn Barton Brown would be the boutique label that was affixed later and Martieri would be the maker. You wouldn't have a name and a place like that on a personal label.

Just at quick glance I would say they were 70s or newer, but well made.

Also, are you sure the 5 pieces all go together or were they just tagged the same shop and could be interchangeable seperates?

7. Charapa

Charapa Registered Guest

No, they certainly do not go together, except that they all share that same tag. Completely different beyond that.

8. Coutureallure

Coutureallure Alumni

Early 70's on the skirt. Looks like a jersey knit on the label close-up. It could be wool or polyester.

Does the suit have a metal or nylon zipper in the skirt? Its hard to tell from the pic, but that longer length jacket also says 70's to me.

Jody

9. Charapa

Charapa Registered Guest

Not sure, I'll take a look today.