1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Explain these fine fellows' unmentionables to me?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by Retro Ruth, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

This photo popped up in my facebook feed with the caption "male beauty contest, early 1900s". Which is hilarious, but I'm sure, nonsense. I feel fairly certain that Edwardian male beauty contests were Not A Thing. Leaving aside whether these chaps would get through the first round or not.

But what is going on here - are these swimming trunks? I thought they would have an upper body piece as well, if the early 1900s date is right. Or are they underpants? I can't quite believe this is what Edwardian gentlemen wore beneath their fine suits?

For your viewing, err, pleasure:

edwardian pants.jpg

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
    Midge and Vintagiality like this.
  2. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

Retro Ruth likes this.
  3. Retro Ruth

It's a particularly fine collection of 'taches.

The Vintage Vendeuse likes this.
  4. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

I wondered about this photo as well. :hysterical:

Retro Ruth likes this.
  5. Retro Ruth

Glad it's not just me!

6. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

7. I bet it was a group of jokers from a Fraternity meet up or club. I would imagine it is more 1920s 30s. They could be swim trunks.
    If you look at the two guys on the left they have a 1930s 40s appearance with the hairstyles.
    What male clubs will do for a "laugh"

Retro Ruth likes this.
  8. Retro Ruth

20s or 30s would make more sense. Not sure about that very long waxed 'tache for then, though, unless as you say it was for a laugh.

9. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

I'm kind of getting this vibe—
    0067d430ccd0a081cae5f3b4e89d1796.jpg

Are you looking for a knitting pattern so you can make one of those pairs of pants yourself Ruth? :USING:

Retro Ruth likes this.
  10. Retro Ruth

:hysterical:

Of course, I want a matching his-and-hers set for me and my man.

denisebrain likes this.
  11. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

I bet @Jonathan could tell a lot by evaluating their shoes. The pair the second fellow from the left is wearing looks potentially dating-helpful

Retro Ruth likes this.
  12. MagsRags

I just found this at vintagedancer.com, dated 1924. But I think these are women's - not sure if men's bathing shoes were drastically different.

1924-bathing-shoes.jpg

Vintagiality and Retro Ruth like this.
  13. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

My guess is they are all members of the Polar Bears swim club. Just a hunch, as their ages seem so varied.

Retro Ruth likes this.
  14. I have seen in the old 30s and 40s movies, the same type of mustache. When worn by the older upper British class. Cherrio and all that ,you know.

15. Retro Ruth

I thought taches were shorter by the 30s. Third from right seems more 1900s to me.

16. Retro Ruth

What is the Polar Bears swim club, Barbara?

17. MagsRags

I'm not Barbara, but I do know there is a tradition in many colder climes here in the US for brave (or foolish) swimmers to jump into the nearest body of water together on New Years day.

Edited to add: But if I was a Polar Bear Club member, I'd be trying to wear more bathing suit, not less!

Retro Ruth likes this.
  18. Retro Ruth

Ah we have that tradition on New Year's Day too, and plenty of cold water for it, but not by that name. I don't think we have a name for it!

19. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:
    To be honest, if that's for swimming... some those trunks don't look like they'll slip off as soon as they get wet...

20. MagsRags

Good point!
    You know, now that I look more closely at the "garments", I can see a drawstring at the waist of 5 out of the 6. The 6th man - middle left - looks like he rolled his one-piece suit down to keep up with the Joneses.