1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fabric Friday: Shagbark

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Workshops - specialty vintage topics' started by denisebrain, Mar 11, 2022.

1. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

This is one fabric look you're not likely to forget once you see it. It is very handy to know for those who like 1950s clothing. This term isn't in every book, but it is acknowledged in, among other references, the wonderful Fabric Reference by Mary Humphries, filed under "Plain Weave Variations".

Shagbark
    An embellishment on plain weave, shagbark features small loops spaced along warp yarns.

Shagbark can be quite even like this—
    _big_vintagefashion-new_98659.jpg
    This is the fabric at a distance.
    50sdress1.jpg

It can also be more irregular in pattern. This example is from Revival Fabrics.
    e41f3310cf539e6bc3dc35249077d216.jpg

I assume that the name comes from the shagbark hickory tree, but honestly, that seems a stretch.
    shagbarkhickory.jpg

Maybe the little loops are supposed to represent shagbark hickory nuts? :wacko:

2. vintagedevotion

vintagedevotion VFG Board Member

such a pretty textile! thanks for sharing!

3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

4. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Yes, a scarce term for sure!

denisebrain likes this.
  5. Distantdetails

Distantdetails Administrator

Maggie, is that the same thing as "barkcloth", that a lot of curtains were made from in the '50s? It generally looks the same (to me!).

6. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Janine, no it is not the same. an idea emotian idea emotian idea emoti Oh, great idea for a subject for Fabric Friday this week! Thank you for asking.

Distantdetails and Retro Ruth like this.
  7. Nice one, Maggie! I've encountered this before and it had me baffled. I'll be on the look out now for it.

Nicole

denisebrain likes this.
  8. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

I've seen this before but never knew what to call it. Thank you!

denisebrain likes this.
  9. Shusteroo

Shusteroo VFG Member

Thanks, I'd not heard that name but I have seen the fabric so that's useful to know.

denisebrain likes this.
  10. vivavintageclothing

vivavintageclothing VFG Member

I have loved this textured textile ever since first encountering it on some of my favorite 1950s dresses, but I had no idea that it had a name! Thanks, Maggie!

denisebrain likes this.