1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fabric Friday: Warp and weft piqué

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Workshops - specialty vintage topics' started by denisebrain, Apr 8, 2022.

1. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Once you have identified weft piqué it will stick with you, it is so distinctive. It was one of my “mystery” fabrics when I started working with vintage clothing, and most often I have found summery cotton Hawaiian dresses made of this. Compare weft piqué to warp piqué and I’m pretty sure you will not forget either one.

Warp and Weft Piqué

Piqué is French for “quilted,” and all piqué fabrics have a slightly padded look in their raised designs. Created on a dobby loom, warp piqué has vertical cords and a reverse that is distinctly different from the face. Weft piqué features a horizontally corded texture on its face, and a distinctly different reverse side. These are made of cotton or cotton blends.

Uses: Dresses, blouses, sportswear, children’s clothing

1950s cotton warp piqué I had as yardage
    _big_vintagefashion-new_122443-1.jpg

Reverse of the above
    _big_vintagefashion-new_95986-1.jpg

1960s cotton warp piqué swimsuit coverup made in Hawaii by Kahala
    whbrightflowerhiswimcoverjj5.JPG
    Here you can see the reverse side as well
    whbrightflowerhiswimcoverjj6.JPG

and here's the weft version
    _big_vintagefashion-new_18641.jpg

_big_vintagefashion-new_58713.jpg

This is the dress that those close ups come from. It was made by R&K but definitely had an island vibe
    Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 2.58.18 PM.png

We can dig into other piqués and dobby weave in coming weeks. :)