1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fabric Friday: What is the fabric type?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Workshops - specialty vintage topics' started by denisebrain, Jul 30, 2021.

1. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Great point, thank you Claire!

2. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

I have an idea. Take a close up photo of the fabric with your phone so you can see the yarns better.
    I'm looking a Chanel buttons today. Here's an interesting fabric. This jacket has several different weaves and is woven with wool and mohair. Then the greige (off-white, natural) fabric is dyed. The different fibers take the dye differently. I have several jackets with similar fabrics.

The advantage for the fabric manufacturer is that they don't have to stock an inventory of multiple colors.
    Back to the button. Chanel made camellia buttons for couture and rtw. The latter are not as nice.

upload_2021-8-1_13-44-6.png upload_2021-8-1_13-45-7.png upload_2021-8-1_13-44-6.png upload_2021-8-1_13-45-7.png

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
  3. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

Britex, the fabulous 2-story fabric store in San Francisco is featuring wool gabardines and twills this week. When I hear back from my query about minimum purchases or swatches, I will share the answer.
    Marian

4. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

wow...so, when a fabric includes more than one weave like Claire's example, what the heck is THAT called?? previously I would have referred to that as a sort of boucle...but that's not right. :(

5. claireshaeffer

Marian, what are you looking for at Britex? Just swatches to use for fabric ID or to order large amounts.

6. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

Just swatches for identifying fabrics, especially rayons.
    Marian

7. claireshaeffer

I mentioned the Celestron microscope several years ago. It's inexpensive--about $60. and amazing how well you can see the yarns.

Some fabric stores call fabrics with multiple weaves fantasy or novelty weaves.

8. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Gosh, so much wonderful information, thanks for the direction to this thread Maggie. It's fantastic!

denisebrain likes this.
  9. denisebrain

Thank you @GemGem It is a continuing Friday feature in this Public Workshops forum. :)

GemGem and The Vintage Merchant like this.
  10. denisebrain

Mary, what Claire said. I'm sure the multiple weaves in that fabric can be named, but I've almost always seen such a thing described as a novelty weave.

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  11. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

What a wealth of info here...thank you!!!

denisebrain likes this.