1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fabric identification

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Vintagiality, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

Hi all,

I looked through the fabric resource but I am still not sure. Would this be embossed cotton or is there another name for this type of weave? Also, would you say 50s or 60s for this dress?

Thanks
    Victoria
    IMG_0632.JPG IMG_0633.JPG IMG_0634.JPG IMG_0637.JPG IMG_0644.JPG

2. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

The dress looks early '60's to me and I'd call the fabric machine embroidered, not embossed. The Union label was used from 1955 - 1963.

Vintagiality likes this.
  3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Beautiful color on the dress. Looks like a brocade, to me. The raised pattern was done as part of the weaving process.

Vintagiality likes this.
  4. Vintagiality

Thank you. I looked at brocade but I always thought of brocade as a heavier fabric. This is very lightweight but the pattern is definitely part of the weaving process and not embroidered.

5. I agree with Linn about an early '60s date and Barbara on the fabric: from the underside you can see that it's woven so a jacquard or brocade, but I'd call it a jacquard instead of brocade (both work).

Vintagiality likes this.
  6. Vintagiality

Thank you all!