1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fabulous Toulouse-Lautrec etc. novelty print dressing gown

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by Midge, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

This is from the Caritas shop around the corner too, but it's so fab it merits it's own post I think :).

Some members have already posted some incredible 70s novelty print polyester knit pieces here, and I recently bought one from a member, so I've come to realise that 70s poly isn't just the stuff that makes my mom shudder, but that there are some fabulous things out there!

Well, now I found this dressing gown by St. Michael, which I would date to the 70s too. It fits me, so I will probably keep it. For $10, this must go down as one of my all-time fab finds!

stmichaelrobe1.jpg stmichaelrobe2.jpg stmichaelrobe6.jpg

It's printed all over with these Art Nouveau posters and ads... Some are by Toulouse-Lautrec (I've already identified the "Divan Japonais"), but I'm not sure if some me not be by different artists. Now there's something to research!

stmichaelrobe3.jpg stmichaelrobe5.jpg stmichaelrobe4.jpg

Karin

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

3. Midge

So I did a bit of picture googling - and I have found them all! Easier than I had thought... Just the colorway of most of the posters has been changed, to keep with the over all color scheme of the dressing gown. They are, from the top, left to right:

Toulouse-Lautrec, poster for Jane Avril's cabaret show, 1893
    The Beggarstaffs (James Pryde & William Nicholson) , poster for "A trip to Chinatown", 1895
    Tolouse-Lautrec, poster for Divan Japonais, 1893
    Paul Berthon, poster for "L'Ermitage" magazine, 1897
    William Charqueville, cover for Lippincott's magazine, 1895

Caran d'Ache (Emmanuel Poiré), poster for the "Exposition russe", 1895
    Henry Gerbault, poster for Chocolat Charpentier, 1896-1900
    Maurice Greiffenhagen, poster for the Illustrated Pall Mall Budget magazine, 1896
    The Beggarstaffs (James Pryde & William Nicholson, poster for Kassama corn flour, 1900
    Eugène Grasset, poster for his exhition at the Salon des Cent, 1898

Edward Penfield, cover for Harper's magazine, 1894
    Armond Rassenfosse, poster for a wrestling match in Liege, 1899
    Dudley Hardy, poster for "The Chieftain" at the Savoy Theatre, 1894
    Theophile Alexandre Steinlen, poster for La Compagnie Françaises des Chocolats et des Thés, 1898
    Frank Hazenplug, poster for an exhibition ("living posters"), 1896

Wow!

Karin

4. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

5. cozmicstar

cozmicstar Registered Guest

I am so jealous! I love this kind of thing.

6. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

that Caritas shop sure is a treasure trove! what fun vintage you consistently find there!

7. MissRita

MissRita Guest

This is fantastic! :wub:

8. Well done Karin! Great find!

Those Toulouse-Lautrec Art Nouveau poster images where really popular in the mid 1970s. When I visited Graceland Memphis in '93, I was surprised to see that Elvis had covered the wall and ceiling of his pool room in them! Must have been hundreds of metres of fabric, all gathered up to create....a very claustrophobic effect. The '70s really weren't a good time to redecorate and then leave your home to posterity.

I found an image on the Graceland website - apparently it took 350 yards of cotton fabric and three men to do it in 1974. They had enough fabric left over to cover the couches too.

9. Midge

10. It was quite intense! Also, the ceiling was really low so the whole effect was awul. Poor Elvis. I hope he enjoyed his life, but I'm not convinced it included anywhere near as much joy as he gave to the rest of us.

11. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

Wow--great sleuthing, and a fabulous robe!

12. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I'm surprised at how small that basement billiards room of Elvis's was. Talk about a claustrophobic space, I get dizzy just looking at the photo!

13. EndlessAlley

EndlessAlley Alumni

What a fabulous find, Karin. I love Art Nouveau posters.

14. TangerineBoutique

TangerineBoutique VFG Member

Ooooh I love it!

melody