1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fashion Drive Exhibition at Kunsthaus Zurich

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by Midge, May 10, 2018.

1. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

So last night I finally went to see the Fashion Drive exhibition at the Kunsthaus (still on until 15 July): http://www.kunsthaus.ch/fashion-drive/en/
    The Swiss Textile Collection, of which I am a member too, had organised a tour with the curator, Catherine Hug. It was to be just an hour but stretched to about one and a half hours in the end - and we could have gone on for longer without a problem!

The exhibition is about "Extreme clothing in the visual arts" and spans from the 16th century to today. I wouldn't call all the clothing shown extreme, but it certainly is an interesting idea and gives some interesting insights. As I love art, not just fashion, I was also delighted to see many well-known pieces of art, some of which rarely leave their usual homes, exhibited here. Including the portrait of Marie-Antoinette in the scandalous "shepherdess" dress... Rather intriguing were also the Swiss portraits from the 16th to 18th century of well-todo city people which show some unique looks (and for those I did definitely not have enough time). There were also some paintings from the Kunsthistorisches Museum in Vienna - which for a change I know well, but love to see anyway.
    You can see a bit of what's exhibited on the website, also the themes and chapters of the exhibition. I did not have time to see everything in-depth as the tour focused on certain things of course, and after that there was not a lot of time left to explore more (though it was quiet by then and I could take some photos without people). I will probably go back for another round, to take it all in in my own time.

But for now, here are some photos:

IMG_2254.JPG
    Cod-pieces...

IMG_2256.jpg
    15th century - detail of a lady of Elizabeth I.'s court. The idea of slashing the skirt diagonally is fantastic, but also the way it is painted is just... incredible!

IMG_2257.JPG
    17th century Spanish court fashion

IMG_2259.JPG
    18th century gown. The 18th century clothes shown here, I understand, all come from the same private collection here in Switzerland, and were all found in pristine condition in an old French chateau.

IMG_2260.JPG
    More 18th century. The painting is from the early 18th century and shows a lady from Zurich. Her whole outfit is intriguing - but that headdress! Such a change to what one usually knows as fashion from the time - shown also in the dress to the right.

IMG_2266.JPG IMG_2268.JPG
    Drool-worthy late 18th century man's suit. The embroidery! I just love suits like this one.

IMG_2263.JPG
    Cartoons lampooning fashions and fashion extremes from their time are also in abundance in this exhibition, mostly late 18th to mid-19th century. Well, there was a lot to make fun of - like this French cartoon, early 19th century.

IMG_2264.JPG
    More cartoon fun. Again, lampooning Empire style fashion in France.

IMG_2287.JPG
    This one here shows a street scene ca. late 18th century.

IMG_2265.JPG
    And one from 1830. We all had a good laugh about this one!

IMG_2269.JPG
    Dandies...

IMG_2283.JPG
    Tango dress by Madeleine Vionnet.

IMG_2273.JPG
    Child's dress by Wiener Werkstätte. Incredibly, the Swiss Textile Collection owns the original printing plate for this fabric print (see https://www.instagram.com/stc_swisstextilecollection/ - they posted it).

IMG_2277.JPG
    1920s. Sketches by Natalia Goncharova.

IMG_2280.JPG
    Schiaparelli.

IMG_2281.JPG
    1930s, prototype dress by Giacomo Balla (someone I've never heard of before, but definitely worth exploring more about him in this exhibition!).

It goes on up to "modern" fashion, and there were some YSL Mondrian dresses on show too - but I guess to me the historical part was the most interesting :). Maybe also because modern art is less my thing.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Looks like a great exhibit, Karin, thank you for sharing!

3. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

Looks like an amazing exhibition! Thanks so much for sharing some views of the gorgeousness, Karin. :clapping:

4. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

Wow, what an amazing exhibit! Was the tour private? That slashed skirt looks as real as a photo!

5. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Yes, the tour was private as in only being offered to Swiss Textile Collection members, but it was during regular opening hours. What I found very irritating though that there was a normal visitor who kept following us from about halfway through. I mean, we had paid extra for this tour...