1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fashion Exhibit at Atlanta History Center

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by fuzzylizzie, May 11, 2004.

1. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

http://www.atlantahistorycenter.com/exhibitions/html/gwtg.htm

I saw this exhibit a few weeks ago, but didn't post about it as it was to close the next week. However, due to it's overwhelming popularity, it has been extended. The woman at the reception desk told me that they could not believe how many people had come to the Center just to see the "old clothes."

If you are within a few hours drive, or if you are going to be in the Atlanta area, it's a fun afternoon of 150 years of fashion history. Admission is a bit steep - $12, but there are other things there, and especially well presented is their Civil War Exhibit. Wonderful old uniforms and soldiers' everyday articles, such as "housewives" make this interesting to people like us who love old things.

Runs through September.

Lizzie

2. cherry-pie-and-roses

cherry-pie-and-roses Registered Guest

Thanks for letting us know, Lizzie. When I first found out about this exhibit the close was too near for me to get there. Now, surely, I can get to Atlanta before September!

3. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

Brenda,
    I think you'll enjoy it. It was a kind of "What we wore through the decades" type of exhibit. It all worked quite well, except maybe for the modern grouping, which I thought to be rather bland and ordinary. Surely not everyone in Atlanta wears Jones New York and soccer shorts!

Lizzie

4. cherry-pie-and-roses

I certainly wouldn't think so. That aspect sounds boring for sure. I still plan to get there soon.

Brenda

5. misericordia

misericordia Registered Guest

Thanks so much Lizzie, I live 5 mins. north of Atlanta, and this would be perfect to take my mom to!

Brenda, you let me know if you need a stop-over to freshen up, or if you want to meet up at the museum or do lunch or something, maybe we could work something out - I would love to meet you, and this sounds like the perfect opportunity!

Dee

6. cherry-pie-and-roses

Oh, that would be great, Dee....and September is fast approaching. Gosh, where does time go? I'll give you a holler if & when I make plans to go.
    Thanks! Lunch would be fun.

Bren

7. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I found your comment about the museum worker being surprised at the number of people who came to see their old dresses... THAT IS SO TYPICAL!!!
    Fashion exhibitions always have high attendance rates at museums - ALWAYS, and yet museum directors and boards still treat fashion and costume with a back hand, like its not worthy of real study or frequent exhibition. I could go on and on about this topic.... but I won't. It's just SOOOOOO typical and a big reason why I am no longer involved in the museum field.

8. cherry-pie-and-roses

Must've been quite a hit since they extended the run, Jonathan. Dontcha sometimes think, "If they'd just let me run the world....." LOL I do. Even Bigger LOL

9. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Never mind the world, I'd be happy to run a costume museum the way it should be! I was disappointed by the museum field -- those in charge really do try to create that illusion of the ivory tower. For the most part, I found it was a smoke screen devised to hide incompetance and indecision and create elitism. THere are, of course, very competant people in the museum field but its a very complex field of differing personalities and ideals.
    I am finally reading Making the Mummies Dance, the tell-all tale of the Metropolitan Museum of Art by the past director Thomas Hoving, and all I can say is that the whole thing is absolutely true. Doesn't matter which museum you are talking about, the game is more or less the same -- even tiny community museums...

10. misericordia

misericordia Registered Guest

Sure Cherry-pie, if and when, just let me know.

I may go to the exhibit this week, as my sister is coming home for the week, and it would be nice to go with Mom together. I'll be a terrible critic I'm sure, as fashion isn't my forte, but I'll let you know how it is.

Jonathon, that sounds like a "must read". Thanks so much for mentioning the book, I've got to have it!