Finding 100% bulky wool for knitting project?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Most Wanted - Looking for something?' started by lindapoirier, Jan 30, 2018.

1. lindapoirier

lindapoirier Registered Guest

My sister-in-law has offered to knit a Mary Maxim sweater for me using five different vintage patterns. She can scale up the rocket and cowboy to adult size and I have a colour scheme worked out.

However, Mary Maxim does not offer all those 4ply colours anymore. We need bulky wool in CORAL, SPRING GREEN, BLACK and ECRU ( ARAN ).

Knitters, where do you buy your 100% wool? Are there any online resources? Thank you, in advance if you can help.

2. bycin

bycin Guest

I used to get great yarns at School Products in NYC. They are still open and you can shop online. They have frequent sales. ; )

3. lindapoirier

I am looking at loveknitting.com.

4. bycin

bycin Guest

Purl in NYC is wonderful too.

5. lindapoirier

I bought at loveknitting. Wool was 15% off and I got 15% off for first time buyer. I saved $100. $238 for the wool - merino superwash bulky.

Charcoal, grapefruit, lawn and birch. It was so weird to have to buy birch instead of white because every single Mary Maxim I have had patina'd the white to ecru. I want my sweater to look old so I had to buy the patina'd colour.

My sister-in-law upsized the "Indian Head" child's pattern. She actually used wool of the same gauge to practice the pattern I want on the back.

IMG_1546.JPG

My "Indian Head" will be coral ( watermelon), spring green ( lawn) and black ( charcoal). The background patina'd white ( birch ).

One arm will be an oil derrick, the other a totem pole. One front side a cowboy with a rocket on the other. All patterns are going to be coral, spring green and black ( Mary Maxim colours names). The background will be all patina'd white ( birch ).

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  6. lindapoirier

7. lindapoirier

My sister-in-law and myself were worried because the wool seemed not chunky or bulky so she quickly ( which is profoundly amazing to me) knit up one sleeve using the birch. Mistakes and different wool used to finish up in order to get a sense of dimensions.

IMG_1588.JPG

Somebody pinch me!!!! Looks amazing to me!!!!!! I can't believe that my ultimate sweater might actually get knit!!!!!!

8. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Trade Member

you can always knit a tension square to make sure your friend's knitting style (loose or tight) matches the manufacturer's guide for no. of stitches/rows per 10cm/4" square (usually) or just measure a section of that arm. Looks great to me :) I've started picking up vintage balls of 100% wool when I find them because it's so expensive to buy new nowadays. I tend to only find quite fine yarn though.

9. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage Trade Member