1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flapper Hat?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Charapa, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Charapa

Charapa Registered Guest

Not sure if this really is from the that era, but flappers were what I thought of as soon as I saw it...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, what's this kind of thing called? Any idea how I go about pricing it (and is it genuine vintage)?

2. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

That's cool.

It's not from the 20s,more likely a 50s cocktail hat, but it is a bandeau.

Hollis

3. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

Hollis, would this be worn to a very fancy occassion by a society lady or would it be more rockette-ish (probably not sparkly enough to be the second).

Chris

4. That is so cool. A lady might have to duck down to enter the doorway. LOL

5. Hattysattic

Hattysattic VFG Secretary

that's fabulous! it would be a great new years eve hat (or is that just me..?)
    i'm not really sure about pricing as i'm in the uk, but i'm sure someone would be prepared to pay a bit more than usual for something that striking.

6. BagDiva

BagDiva Guest

hi l got this info from the vintagefashionvault.com

Frank R. Jelleff was an upper class department store on 'F' street in Washington, DC in the 1950s. Known for their well made suits, this one offered here is no exception. The fitted jacket is fully lined with fine crepe, has two shallow seam pockets and wonderful 'deco' details. The pencil skirt has a side metal zipper and is also lined.

hope this helps....do 1950s it will be ....

sara x

7. Charapa

Charapa Registered Guest

Thanks, guys. :) I wish the pic was better quality; the beadwork is really quite intricate and beautiful.

So, what is the drill for pricing unknowns like this? Do you troll the vintage sites and ebay until you find something similar? Or do you just wing it, knowing your customers' wallets and tastes? (When this one came over from the warehouse, our volunteer who prices hats had marked it at $20. That just struck me as potentially far too low...)

PS - vintagefashionvault? Are you sure that's the URL, sara? I can't get it displayed.

8. hatfeathers

hatfeathers VFG Member

Yeah, $20 may be a little low to start with....I know I'd give $20 for it in a heartbeat, and I'm stingy.
    Jenn

9. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I can't help but think that the feathers and doodads on the side of the hat were added at a later time. It looks like a wool felt hat that should be worn on the crown (back) of the head and is from the late 1940s, but with it on top of the head and the addition of the feathers, brooches or whatever is on the side, it was made up to look more theatrical. You could certainly sell it as is but it doesn't look original to me There are lots of people who buy glamorous hats the way they look and don't buy for authenticity so I would leave it as is.