1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Found a Sulka robe today -- gorgeous! UPDATE WITH PICS

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by ellenm, Jan 13, 2007.

1. ellenm

ellenm Registered Guest

Sorry, no pics yet. I just got home and it's dark. I'll take some pics tomorrow and post them. Right now there are just 3 Sulka robes on ebay--one current and two completed. These must be very rare. Mine is orange, cream, and brown, with an orange lining and orange piping. It's all silk, of course. It is missing its belt, darn it. I need a brown or cream silk sash belt. Anybody got something like that?

2. listitcafe

listitcafe Registered Guest

THat Men's clothign website.. I think it is Ask Andy has people on it which know about sulka.

-CHris

3. ellenm

ellenm Registered Guest

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is a second label sewn into the back of the main label. It has a handwritten date (?) of 02-06-55.

The belt is missing. It needs a few stitches on one of the seams in the lining and it needs to be cleaned. Otherwise, it's in good condition.

Dareuc, thanks for the link to Ask Andy. I took a quick look and couldn't see a way to search the site. Loads of information there about men's clothing! I think I will post these pictures in their forum and see if I can get more info there.

In the meantime, if anybody here knows anything about Sulka, please spill it. Thanks very much.

4. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

Really, really nice! I though Sulka was on the label resource, but I just checked and nada. But I do have some info here somewhere... I have an alpaca vest with a label like your white one, but mine is black. I've always assumed it was 40s.
    bbl
    Lizzie

5. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

Okay, I found it!

A. Sulka and Co. was founded in New York City in 1893 by businessman Amos Sulka and tailor Leon Wormser. The shop was originally a shirtmaker's establishment, and in 1895 was located on Broadway.

By the early 1920s, A. Sulka had moved to Fifth Avenue and had opened stores in London's Old Bond Street and in Paris. They were known for their high quality custom shirts, and for luxurious items made from silk such as ties, scarves and robes. The store became a favorite of the well-dressed rich and famous, including the Duke of Windsor and Clark Gable.

Amos Sulka died in 1946. More stores were opened, including ones in San Francisco and Chicago. Sulka carried primarily men's items, but there were select women's items such as scarves and robes.

During the late 60s and 70s, the idea of luxury was changing, and many buyers were looking to European lines, such as Gucci. Sulka was no longer the desirable name it had been. The company was sold in 1980, and changed hands several times before being acquired by Vendome in the 1990s. There was a plan to revive the name, but the stores were closed beginning in late 2001, and the last store was shuttered in 2002.

6. ellenm

ellenm Registered Guest

Thank you, Lizzie. I'll make good use of that info.

I posted to the Ask Andy forum about this robe and got some quick answers. I recommend going there for questions on high end men's things.

It was suggested that I have a tailor cut the robe down a couple of inches to make a sash. I then asked if Sulka fans would object to this desecration (as I saw it) and was told that they wouldn't. The man who told me to go ahead with it is a real Sulka fan. He owns many Sulka items and misses the stores a lot since they went out of business in 2001 or whenever that was.

Before I have a tailor do this, does anybody here think that cutting down a Sulka robe is a horrible thing to do?

7. hipvintage

hipvintage Alumni

Maybe it's something that can be left up to the buyer and you can suggest this is an option and that it has been done before by Sulka fans.

Janine

8. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

I wouldn't cut it myself. Why don'y you go to the craft store and see if they have any of that twisted cord like you see on vintage robes?

9. cactusandcattails

cactusandcattails VFG Member VFG Past President

I agree with Janine & Lizzie. I would try to find something that would work, but mention the option of cutting, and let the buyer do it if they choose to. I have a nice mens robe with the same issue (though not a Sulka).
    I have a burnt orange sash belt somewhere, but I cant tell if it would match and dont think that it would be long enough, as it came with a ladies dress. Maybe you could find some orange fabric to match the trim.

Either way it should do well, its a great looking robe!

10. ellenm

ellenm Registered Guest

I also considered cutting down just the lining to make a belt. I am now afraid to cut it at all. Instead I will search for a sash belt that looks ok with it and mention the other options in the listing. Thanks everybody for your advice.

11. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

Ellen, did the guys at ask andy give you an idea of the date of your robe. I need it for the label resource.
    Thanks! Lizzie

12. ellenm

ellenm Registered Guest

The label has the handwritten date of 02/06/55 on it. The Ask Andy guys said that's the date of manufacture. The number 40 is apparently the size.

13. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni