1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Frank Usher Fake Label?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by awaywiffairies, Aug 8, 2009.

1. awaywiffairies

awaywiffairies Registered Guest

:hiya: Is this one of the modern Frank Usher labels or one of the many fakes going around. Your help would be fab as always.

Sarah

[​IMG]

2. Hi there, I've not seen a Frank Usher label like that but I can't confirm that it's a fake either. It does look very unlike the labels I'm used to, I must admit! I've had several Frank Usher frocks and they all have labels like this one. The quality of your label doesn't look anything close to the one I've shown here which makes me think it could be a fake but I just don't know. Perhaps other members could clarify? :scratchchin:

[​IMG]

3. awaywiffairies

Hi Louise, I've got a feeling it's a fake, but picked it up at my local charity shop so no great loss from pocket. I bought 3 dresses from the charity shops yest but must hv been hving a mad moment, cos I don't really like any of them lol. I think :insane:

Totally away with the fairies :rolleyes:

4. It happens to the best of us! :booze:

5. awaywiffairies

Hiya, anyone else got any idea on this label, I think it's fake, but my fault for picking up things in haste.... :powwows:

Sarah

6. cactusandcattails

cactusandcattails VFG Member VFG Past President

What do you think of the overall quality of the piece in question? Can you post a picture of the garment? It's hard to make a judgement on the label alone.

7. Yes, photos please :)

8. awaywiffairies

Hiya!

Here's a pic of the dress. Not very good one, my camera doesn't seem to be a happy bunny with red, makes the dress go all fuzzy! I was looking on Ebay the other night & there are some with labels like mine, the modern ones & they were being sold by established sellers & Power sellers, so unless they're selling fake I think this may be ok?? However, if I'm trying to buy vintage, whatever am I doing with a newbie lol!

The quality seems good & there are litttle press studs and loops to hold the top in place to the dress strap as that is a loose top over a dress, a bit of detail that maybe fakesters may not bother to copy? I jus thought the labels wld hv been a bit smarter.

Sarah

[​IMG]

9. Hi Sarah, Oh what a lovely dress! So pleased to see the full garment. Yes, perhaps it is genuine Frank Usher. It looks very nice quality and it's certainly 'bang-on-trend' with all that lovely draping of fabric. Now you've done your research and seen a few labels the same on eBay (from established sellers) it should put your mind at ease a little. Perhaps it's from a more recent clothing line by Frank Usher?

Here's the Frank Usher website
    http://www.frankusher.co.uk/

Perhaps you could email them a photo of your label and ask if it's one of theirs and when the label was introduced? It's a bit more work but at least you will know for sure.

By the way, forget the 'Power Seller' status thing - it just means they sell a lot, it's not a guarantee they sell quality merchandise or that they are honest. I've had a couple of bad experiences with Power Sellers in the past . . . but that's another story! The majority are fine but . . . .

10. coffeegrl

coffeegrl Registered Guest

That is a beautiful dress fake or not, it's sweet!

11. awaywiffairies

When I'm in a charity/thrift shop it's so easy to get sidetracked & seduced by pretty newbie dresses! (must stop doing that though...think vintage...think vintage!)

Louise, good idea! I've just sent an email off to that website, so hopefully I'll receive a reply & then we'll know!

Sarah :singing:

12. That's great. Perhaps get that added to the label resource library once you've had a reply as it will prove very useful information to others. hehe! You're now officially a 'vintage fashion detective'!

13. awaywiffairies

:hiya:

Jus to let you know that Natalie Sturman, designer at Frank Usher has kindly confirmed in an email:

"hey

Its been agreed, it is 100% pure frank usher :)

rgds

Natalie"

So, good news! I knew the quality and design was up to par with Frank Usher, but the labels didnt quite match the quality, so there you go!

Sarah :singing:

14. That's great! You should get your label included in the label resource library - it's very useful information! Well done on a great find! :USETHUMBUP:

15. awaywiffairies

Thanks Louise! I know it's no big deal as it's a modern Frank Usher but I was just pleased to find out the answer. As I'm a 'friend' on the forum I'm not sure I can submit a label & if I could, not sure if they'd b interested in a modern one. Oh I did see an 80s Frank Usher but they wanted £15...was in the backroom of a charity shop, may still be there but was bout 3 wks ago...is that alot to pay if looking at making a profit?

Sarah

16. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Sarah -

You definitely can submit a label as a "Friend" and I am fairly sure that the label committee would welcome your modern Frank Usher label for comparison.

Can't answer your other question - quite honestly I was not familiar with Frank Usher before your post, so I have no idea what would be a good price for resale. BTW - your dress is lovely!

Linn

17. Hi Sarah, Sorry for the late response. Didn't see your reply until this morning. Difficult to say whether you'd make a decent profit on the £15 without seeing the dress. It can be 'hit and miss' with Frank Usher although their clothing is always very well made - I'd say the US equivalent would be Oscar de la Renta. It would all depend on how wearable the dress is now. If it were a beautiful beaded/sequin evening dress, then you should be able to make a nice profit on the £15 but if it was a more ordinary day dress or similar, may be not. I bet it's gone now anyway - things like that never stay put for long :hysterical:

Best bet is to take a look over on eBay and Etsy at other Frank Usher frocks. They do come up in the US market on occasions but it's a British label so you're going to find the majority here in the UK.

I've got a sky blue Frank Usher dress in my Etsy store right now at $65 USD which is about £39 GBP. It's got large white spots on it. This frock is typical 80's but it's still quite wearable and super quality. I think it would look marvellous worn for a formal occasion like a wedding, with hat and matching accessories. Perhaps a day at the races. It's a very smart frock. That style isn't going to appeal to everyone but like I say, the quality is just lovely and the drape quality of the fabric is gorgeous too. I can't put a direct link to it here but you'll see it.

I've also got two black Frank Usher evening dresses, one has never been worn with labels still attached and has a large drape around the neck, front and back. I've not listed that in my Etsy store yet but would expect a lot more for that one.

Definitely submit your modern label here - it will be very helpful to others who find themselves in the same position. :headbang:

18. awaywiffairies

Linn &Louise, I'm gonna try & get some dates on the label i.e when it was 1st introduced & if I receive a reply, I will definitely post!

Louise, hmm, can't remember 2 many dtls bout the dress I saw, it was a lovely emerald colour & I do remember thinking at the time that it was wearable, so I'll go bk there (tho can't til nxt wk) & hope it's still there. It was in back room not open to the public, but I asked specifically if they had any frocks, so was left alone unsupervised to dribble over the goodies. But they were asking quite a bit for all of em & mainly modern so had doubts, but the 80's Frank Usher I was rather interested in.....

OOh, I've checked out your polka dot one & it is booootiful! Actually, I'm setting up my own Etsy shop & I hv bin checking your one out as I'm Uk as well, jus to ck your policies etc, jus as guidance (hope u don't mind!). I want 2 concentrate on vintage fairs for the whole vibe & face 2 face interaction (gets me out as well lol!) but want to put some on Etsy 2 give it ago & my Hulitar dress might do better on there. I also checked out your latest additions & they are so pretty & fabulous! :wub:

Sarah

19. Aw thank you Sarah. You're more than welcome to check out my store policies. I worked in customer services for years and know the importance of getting the 'nitty gritty' details right. I try to be as clear and concise as possible but whether potential customers actually read my store policies is another matter.

I really like selling on Etsy. I find it straightforward and so cheap to list compared to other selling sites. Taking really good quality photos is important in order to make your store stand out but you shouldn't have a problem there. As long as your merchandise is 20+ years old, you can list it as vintage. Selling online doesn't give you that face to face contact of course but you do get your merchandise seen by more people worldwide. There are pros and cons to both - it's finding what you enjoy doing the most and getting some fun out of it too. I don't really see this as 'work' - I enjoy it far too much! :spin: