1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fur Experts - Fur Identification and Help with Dating Pieces

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by DaisyandStella, Nov 25, 2013.

1. DaisyandStella

DaisyandStella VFG Member

I have a few fur pieces that I would like to sell, however, I am not certain on the types of fur and dating. I've looked at the fur resource library and think I may be in the ballpark but would appreciate any help from the experts. Thank you in advance!

#1 - Could this be from the 1930s? I believe it could be mink or squirrel - there is a definite sheen and the fur is short in length with shorter under fur. This one does have label "Evans Chicago Paris Milan" (Camera flash used in this photo - making fur appear lighter in color)

#2 - Zinth's Oshkosh label - found a few online articles about Zinth's from the late 1930s. This fur is silkier and softer to the touch than the longer first coat and the fur is also a little bit longer. This piece does have sheen as well.

#3 - No label with a chevron-esque stripe to the fur. Fully lined with silk. Definite sheen - darkest in color with about same length fur as 2nd cape.

Attached Files:

2. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

The 1st looks like Mink.
    The 2nd looks like Mink scraps crafted together.
    The 3rd looks like pieced Mink in a Chevron pattern.
    Can you show some photos of the linings please and the front of the Zinth's Oshkosh Cape?

3. DaisyandStella

Thank you!
    Here are photos of the linings again in same order as above (i've put two photos for each coat).

Attached Files:

4. DaisyandStella

Here is the front image of the Zinth's cape coat.

Attached Files:

5. peaceful vintage

Thank you for the additional photos. Your coat looks like it dates to the early 50s. The Zinth's cape looks like it dates to the 40s. The chevron patterned stole looks like it dates to the 50s.

DaisyandStella likes this.
  6. DaisyandStella

Thank you Caryn!

peaceful vintage likes this.
  7. MissRita

MissRita Guest

Thank you Caryn - you're a giving and delightful member of VFG. :)

8. peaceful vintage

You are most welcome. I am always happy to assist anytime I can.

I know you did not ask this but it may be helpful to you; A popular feature in coats from that time with sleeves like yours were elasticized lining cuffs that would keep the wind out. I am thinking yours may have those. If so, those are called wind cuffs.

9. DaisyandStella

They did have elasticized lined cuffs! I keep learning every day - thanks much!

10. DaisyandStella

I actually just came across a fox fur coat that I'll be selling from I believe the late 1980s. I see arctic fox listed and this coat is white with some grayish black tips. I've also seen coats identified as gray or silver fox. I don't want to mislead - can anyone tell me more about arctic versus gray/silver and also if my coat looks like one over the other? It's labeled "wm. Shenberg & Sons". Thanks in advance ~ Brooke

Attached Files:

11. peaceful vintage

That's a beauty Brooke. It's feathered Arctic Norwegian Blue Fox which is not really blue but rather is white furred with black tips. Gray Fox is more of a straight gray and Silver Fox is also Gray but has Black running through it. Here's a photo of Silver Fox.

silverfoxphoto.jpg

12. DaisyandStella

Caryn thank you so much for all your help! I greatly appreciate it and hopefully my knowledge base on fur information will keep expanding so I don't have to keep bugging you! Also thanks for showing me a close-up of the silver fox!

13. peaceful vintage

Anytime. Truly love helping whenever I can and am grateful to have some knowledge to share.

14. Josiah

Josiah Registered Guest

Hi,

I just joined the forum and am in the same boat as BrookeNault. I have a fur jacket that my grandmother gave to me when her sister passed away and I am trying to ascertain the age, composition, and value of it.

It does not have a FLA tag so I am guessing that it is pre-1951 but I did not think that fur jackets were popular back then.

In my uneducated opinion it looks like chocolate mink.

And I have no idea on the value.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

image1.JPG image2.JPG image3.JPG image4.JPG image5.JPG

15. Josiah

Josiah Registered Guest

Also I meant to mention that there are two items of disrepair on it. The missing hook-loop and the seam that is coming undone. Although the undone seam does allow me to verify its composition :)

16. peaceful vintage

Hi Josiah, Nice jacket. We aren't able to assess value here but we can certainly help you with the fur type and dating. Could you kindly re-post your questions and photos in a new thread. This way others will know someone else is seeking information on a newly posted item. I will be in there to help you once you do. :)