1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fur ID, and what are these press studs for?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Joanne, May 20, 2017.

1. Joanne

Joanne Alumni

Hi there, I don't do much in the way of fur, but I have acquired this stole. I looked through the fur resource but hard to tell. Maybe marmot? I wonder how these exotic animal skins made their way to Australia. I guess Australia had to import for anything other than rabbit, fox, kangaroo and possum. There are three large "female" press studs on the ends of the stole, underneath a flap. What did they attach to? I kind find anywhere on the garment.

Attached Files:

2. No help on the fur but I can tell you that the snaps are for attaching a line of tails, attached to a piece of satin. I've had a few like this: you can choose whether to wear the tails or not.

I like to think that all of those European ladies brought the furs out on the ships after WW2. Many have Aussie labels so were bought locally too: it was a different world, hard to imagine isn't it? Furs break my heart, there are so many and not many Australians wear them.

peaceful vintage likes this.
  3. Joanne

Joanne Alumni

Omg, gross. Thanks Nicole.
    Clearly, I am not a fur person, and the tails freak me out. I only have the odd item that falls in my way at a silly price. However, I would prefer to see someone wear this than have it go to a landfill.

4. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

That is marmot as you guess and the snaps are exactly as Nicole said; for a strip of tails that were attachable. Here's a Russian sable wrap with tails that snapped on and off.

russiansablewrap.jpg

5. Joanne

Joanne Alumni