1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fur identification

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by JCarole, Jan 31, 2019.

1. JCarole

JCarole Registered Guest

Could you please identify this fur? This has been passed down in my 91 year old mom's family but someone took the tag off. It is very well made with nice touches on hem and around neckline. I reviewed your fur resources but I can't tell what it is. Are there telltale marks of the maker? It is lightweight and soft. It has a split about 4 inches long on one arm, so I took a pick of the underside. The two buttons don't match ...not sure if that means one was replaced or if intended to be that way. Thank you. 6l6Qmt2TSbuvL2sMwzZKSQ.jpg 6l6Qmt2TSbuvL2sMwzZKSQ.jpg uW1VytnLSWKFj%PajyPYhw.jpg sdWhClKTRXuTkr1iPxQJhA.jpg YOQECU2+RUKo5uqo1XEIbg.jpg 3tmGtqlfRbCUdSVf8IHWsg.jpg e+gRtIHPQkOyLoBDAYW3Tg.jpg %kOygXk2R7ybBOJTz0W97A.jpg PJTZFmGPQP2S8MAay9xX7Q.jpg QdcLNnMwTcmp0keorp4FMg.jpg DBeGdtbjSjuC2vGYU+LbAg.jpg

2. I think it’s squirrel. I’m sure our fur expert will be along to verify.

peaceful vintage likes this.
  3. JCarole

JCarole Registered Guest

Interesting. I'd like to know what tells you that? I looked at squirrel on your resource pages and I never would have thought this matched...shows I don't know furs...
    Whenever someone verifies, please give me the clues! And if the sewing or design indicates which label it is? Thank you so much!

4. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Hello, it is as Deborah said squirrel.

It is Eurasian squirrel and is commonly called Russian Squirrel.

A hint of the crimped appearance in the guardhairs as well as how the density appears to the eye helps to identify this type of fur.

The size of the pelts are also visible in your coat which can also be used as an identifier.

The nose to the rumps of the pelts were used and each were crafted together which has created the zigzag appearance and is not a design that would indicate who the maker was.

Sometimes it’s dyed which may make it more difficult for the untrained eye to compare but if you do a search for Eurasian squirrel and look at the images it might be easier for you to see the resemblance.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    themerchantsofvintage likes this.
  5. JCarole

JCarole Registered Guest

Thank you for the good explanation! I really appreciate it...and yes, I did find images that make this clear! Guess it will make a good throw or pillows!