1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gloves - no tag and look homemade?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Sheryl Awtonomow, Mar 10, 2021.

1. Sheryl Awtonomow

Sheryl Awtonomow Registered Guest

I found these in my mother's cedar chest, along with a very old blouse, skirt and petticoat that I need to take pictures of and ask about! Uncle thinks it may have been his grandmothers, which I assume these gloves would have been as well. They feel so soft, and the only one with a label are the white ones that look like lace - it just says "handmade in France". Would anyone know the time period? Thanks in advance. IMG_1405.jpg IMG_1422.jpg IMG_1423.jpg IMG_1424.jpg IMG_1425.jpg

2. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Hi Sheryl -

Welcome to the VFG Forums! I am not an expert on gloves. I think most of the gloves you have shown us are C. 1950s - 1960s and are not homemade - with the possible exception of the camel/tan ones and those might just not be in great shape! The crocheted gloves that were made in France were handmade but probably commercially.

Some of our members may know more about how to date gloves than I do. The white pair with the pearls and the knitted pair with the pearl trim look '60s to me!

Please tell us a little more about your mother and grandmother and show us the other items you found in the cedar chest.

GemGem likes this.
  3. Sheryl Awtonomow

Hi - I haven't had a minute to pull the blouse and skirt/petticoat back out, but here are a couple pictures - I can take some closer up in a bit! I am not sure what era they are from, but MY note in the other cedar chest says Grandma's dress. My grandmother was Helen Van Voris Berndt (born in America in 1905). My great grandmother (Katherine Enright Van Voris) was born in Ireland in 1867. That is according to stuff I found and still researching. Thanks for the info and thoughts on the gloves!

IMG_1315.jpg IMG_1316.jpg IMG_1317.jpg IMG_1318.jpg IMG_1319.jpg

The Vintage Merchant and GemGem like this.
  4. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Hi Sheryl -

Thanks for sharing these lovely pieces. More people will look if you start a new "Thread" about these.

Thanks!

GemGem and Retro Ruth like this.
  5. Sheryl Awtonomow

ok will do! I thought of that after I posted. Appreciate!

6. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

I agree with Linn on 1950s - 60s for the gloves. Gloves can be hard to narrow down too much.