1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Glue (?) removal...

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by kevinjohnnyc, Jun 21, 2004.

1. kevinjohnnyc

kevinjohnnyc Registered Guest

Kinda futile I think, but I found a late '70s/early '80s Diane Von Furstenberg jumpsuit with a tiger pattern and bought it for 8 bucks. (out of my range, but I liked it) When I got it home I realized that there were some marks on it that are very hard and stiff. It made the fabric a touch darker. I tried to remove it with lighter fuel, but that didn't work. I'm wondering if there is any way to get this stuff off. Anything I might try?

Thanks!!!

2. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

I will have to look through my resources... there are some folks who are very well versed in this subject...so hopefully someone will come along...

3. cherry-pie-and-roses

cherry-pie-and-roses Registered Guest

I have yet to run into a glue problem that Un-Du won't take care of. It's archival safe for paper & photos so I doubt that it would harm fabric.

It's available at WalMart, Hobby Lobby, office supply stores...about $6-8 for the small bottle. It comes with a little scraper thing attached, but be sure to let the liquid do the work first.

Let us know how it turns out.

Brenda

4. If you can find Lestoil, it is great, too. I use to find it at Walmart around the cleaning supplies. You can use it full strength on the finest of fabrics or dilute to soak. It will even clean an oil based paint brush!

5. kevinjohnnyc

Thanks guys!

I happen to have Lestoil in my cabinet but never think of it! And I'm going to get some Un-Du, sounds like the ticket to removing lots of stuff...

6. Un-Du is fabulous for removing stickers off books and other collectibles where they use super sticky price tags!! I would have never thought to use it on fabric...thanks for the tip Brenda!!

7. kevinjohnnyc

Thanks guys! I ended up giving this cutie to a good friend who appreciates vintage and she will wear it. So it wasn't a waste of money. Just wish I had tried Un-Du before I offered it to her. Un-Du is definitely on the shopping list!