1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gorgeous Vintage Pomare Skirt Set Hawaiian Natives Eugene Savage?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by NewFashionForMe, Apr 11, 2022.

1. NewFashionForMe

NewFashionForMe Registered Guest

Hello all!

Long time lurker, first time poster.
    I love this place for all the info and knowledge available! Thanks so much for all of your help in advance.

I found this gem at a garage sale and I know the brand, but I can not find anything out about the print. It is fabulous and super different. It reminds me of old Eugene Savage. I have done some research and can not find this style of wrap skirt or any info on the print.

Any information or dating help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Jennifer

PhotoRoom-20220408-181212-11_53091505-49ed_CI.jpeg PhotoRoom-20220408-181210-7_17aff61d-4ae8_CI.jpeg PhotoRoom-20220408-181217-21_30c31d61-4424_CI.jpeg PhotoRoom-20220408-181208-1_faff53eb-44d3_CI.jpeg PhotoRoom-20220408-181214-14_79fcb657-4e05_CI.jpeg PhotoRoom-20220408-181215-15_5f56f8b0-403d_CI.jpeg

2. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

The print reminds me of Eugene Savage too!
    Prints get recycled regularly, sometimes direct reproductions, and sometimes "inspired by". In a bit of quick research trying to figure out whether Pomare is still producing under their own name, I found that Pomare opened in 1963, and started Hilo Hattie in 1979/80. Supposedly, Pomare divested their other lines to focus completely on Hilo Hatties in 1987.

What's the fabric?

Lady Scarletts likes this.
  3. NewFashionForMe

Thanks so much for the info!!
    There really isn't any other labeling or tags on the item. It does feel like a lightweight cotton.

4. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

5. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

That print and that label look younger than 1987 to me, so i did some clicking around and found this as part of an article about them. They DO focus on the Hilo Hattie division, but it sounds like they maintained a Pomare presence, as well:

On the mainland in the meantime, Pomare opened a 23,000-square-foot megastore at Arizona Mills in Tempe, Arizona, in November 2000, just in time for the all-important holiday season. Also in 2000 a 10,000-square-foot store opened in Nashville, Tennessee. In March 2001, a store, about 9,000 square feet in size, opened in Dolphin Mall in Miami, Florida. The following year Hilo Hattie entered the Las Vegas market, opening a store in the Aladdin’s Desert Passage mall. Another Hilo Hattie store, offering 6,000 square feet of retail space, opened in Orlando’s Festival Bay Shopping Mall in April 2003. Hilo Hattie entered the San Diego market in 2005.

6. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

oh, and i agree, it totally appears to be Eugene Savage inspired.

7. MagsRags

Modern was my first impression as well.

That's actually the article I found earlier that told me about the Pomare/Hilo Hattie connection. But I did not read that to mean that the store was called Pomare or carried Pomare labelled clothing. Pomare is the name of the parent business.

Unfortunately, Arizona Mills in Tempe does not currently have a store named Pomare or Hilo Hatties. Same with Dolphin Mall in Miami.

@NewFashionForMe what is the RN# on the tag? Might be helpful.

8. MagsRags

I just checked the RN database.
    Pomare Tahiti Sportswear was RN 51843. That RN # has been cancelled
    Pomare Ltd is RN 37145. Pomare Ltd is their "legal business name". Company name is Hilo Hattie. They're based in Honolulu.

The RN# on OP's label starts with 371

9. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

According to a search I did earlier today - there is a Hilo Hattie store at Ala Moana Shopping Center. Pomare closed their store Hilo Hattie store at 700 Nimitz Highway in 2015 and Pomare (the parent company) filed for bankruptcy. I believe Pomare is still in business but only making branded items that are marked "Hilo Hattie."

Here is more about Hilo Hattie:

https://www.hilohattie.com/pages/about-us

Last edited: Apr 12, 2022
    CatsLikeUs likes this.
  10. I come across a Pomare shirt with the same label as yours (but different print) that the seller presents as 1980s.

Also, googling presented me with a shirt with your print that had been listed on Etsy but the link is broken and the title just states "vintage". Here's the photo:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2022
    CatsLikeUs likes this.
  11. NewFashionForMe

Thank you all so much! You have found out more than I was able to for sure!
    I just am so in love with this print! Super unique!
    Thanks for all the info. You guys are a huge help to us newbie vintage lovers!
    Have a fabulous day all!

Jennifer

MagsRags likes this.