1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Green flapper dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by acceber, Mar 20, 2019.

1. acceber

acceber VFG Member

I cannot believe I just found this in a goodwill for $6.99. I about had a heart attack. It’s in incredible condition. Just a few beads dangling loose in two small areas. It snaps up the side.

My question is - How do I preserve this so that it stays in this condition? I think it’s chiffon.

5F8A67AA-9C73-44BA-BF79-1A911D3C5514.jpeg 7675DF48-4642-42A4-B121-9063831061EF.jpeg C600EAFC-126D-4C59-97E7-4D204E82B645.jpeg CBE6CC6E-D682-4785-AE37-36180B7F0BDB.jpeg 9974CF99-4FC0-4DE3-B24E-638503EDE4A7.jpeg 95453BD8-5BF3-4293-A230-CC287DE1F475.jpeg

2. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

WOW!

I'm no help, but what a find! Love that color!

themerchantsofvintage likes this.
  3. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

It looks like crepe, not chiffon. Don't hang it - put it in a box to store flat - otherwise the weight of the beads pulls the fabric. It's about 1923 - nice score!

4. acceber

acceber VFG Member

Thank you! I’m still having a heart attack. lol The color is amazing. Is it alright to fold it in the box?

5. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

6. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

If you can get some acid free tissue paper and an acid free box if possible. Whatever you do don't leave it hanging up or in plastic.
    That is an incredible find!!!! :cheer:

7. acceber

acceber VFG Member

I took it off the dress form ever so carefully. It’s folded and wrapped in regular white tissue paper until I get some acid free and a box, and that’s where it will stay. It’s in such amazing condition. I hope it will last a good long while.

8. Lady Scarletts

Lady Scarletts VFG Member

Sure wish my thrift stores had dresses like that! Congrats!!

9. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

If you have sewing skills, you might want to secure any loose beads so you don't lose more. And you can fold it as long as you use the acid free tissue to pad the folds.

Amazing find!

10. acceber

acceber VFG Member

Thank you. I’m still reeling from this find. To think it survived donating, being sorted and crammed on a fat plastic hanger and wasn’t damaged. Whew!

I will tack those beads back on before it gets boxed. That’s a very good idea.

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  11. acceber

acceber VFG Member

Yes! I am so in love with this dress! The stories it could tell if it could talk!

And of course it’s only made me that much addicted to the hunt. My boyfriend says it could be worse, I could be buying scratch off lottery tickets but this is less expensive. He has no idea. lol

C10DDFCC-140E-46DE-B097-7F60A52058D9.jpeg

poppysvintageclothing likes this.