1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guy Laroche - Is it a dress? Is it from outer space?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by RadarLuv, Jan 16, 2017.

1. RadarLuv

RadarLuv Registered Guest

I really don't know why I picked up this dress today. Maybe because it was a couple of bucks. I don't think I have ever bought a piece that I didn't absolutely love....until today. This. This, whatever it is.......

It was hanging with the coats, but I don't think it is a coat. I think it is a dress. I couldn't even figure out which way it went on the mannequin for a minute there. I'm finding it quite...unappealing. WHAT. IS. IT? A coat? Or a dress?

Any ideas of when it might have been made?

Attached Files:

2. RadarLuv

Disregard. It's from the late 80's. Found the label. It's a dress, i quite sure. I really am puzzled as to why I got it, but it is what it is....

3. Correct: it's a dress. Could be a bit earlier in the '80s, the style looks more early to mid to me. I would have grabbed it too, for two dollars.

You can see the hem has been taken up: I would also be inclined to restore the hem if you can do it without damaging it.

RadarLuv likes this.
  4. RadarLuv

Thank you for all of you knowledge. You are truly a wealth of information! All from a picture. I love that! i will take another look at the hem. I just don't know what I am going to DO with this dress. ha!

5. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

It's great. I would have grabbed it too! Imagine it with stiletto heels in the same colour and white stockings and BIG earrings - very 1984ish.

6. RadarLuv

yes, you're right. perhaps my inner self was pushing me to broaden my horizon! the way it is now I'd be pleased as punch to be stuck in a 1950's time warp.

7. For some reason I have Chaka Khan in my head now - and sure enough, there is a similar dress worn by one of her dancers in this clip. Plainer of course, but Jonathan's on the money with 1984.

RadarLuv likes this.
  8. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Been there... and fashion was REALLY important to me then! Not like now where I don't care anymore!

RadarLuv likes this.
  9. RadarLuv

Right? I loved the super cinched tailored waists fromt he 50's. I took in a skirt to be altered from that period the other day an the tailor just WOULD not do it that tight. I kept say, "it NEEDS to be tighter", that's how it was supposed to be! she looked at me like I was crazy. I just let it go.