1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hallmark artist Mary Hamilton... and Winston Churchill, too!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by The Vintage Vendeuse, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Yesterday, I acquired the cutest set of Hallmark brand Christmas Thank You cards from a local thrift store and set about researching the artist, who signed herself simply, "Mary". It turns out that Hallmark employed/contracted some pretty interesting people for greeting card designs, including Winston Churchill and Salvador Dali!
    Anyway, my "Mary" was Mary Hamilton and, it turns out, is a popular collected Hallmark artist that had a lengthy history with the company. There's a fair amount of info available about her by googling but I particularly enjoyed this article and the 1950s photos that accompanied it. Just thought I'd share. :)

My cards, featuring one of Mary's beloved bears and some "Christmas Critters":

IMG_5968.jpg

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  2. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

What a delightful and informative article. I wonder how the digital age will affect the greeting card industry...

The Vintage Vendeuse likes this.
  3. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

I remember those cuddly Mary cards and illustrations. Sure wish I could take a trip to see the Hallmark art collection.

The Vintage Vendeuse likes this.