1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Handmade dress dating - roll collar?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Tamzzyn, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Tamzzyn

Tamzzyn Registered Guest

I'm not sure if that is the correct terminology for this dress to be honest!

This is a handmade dress that I found at a thrift store. I love the print and bought it at a really good price but when I got home noticed that the 'roll collar' seems to be unfinished and that some paper (or tissue or something) has been shoved in to make it an actual roll and that it has been pinned so when I flap the collar up, I can see the paper! Is this just an unfinished dress? Was the collar originally supposed to be a roll collar or did a previous owner try to convert it into one?

Also, could I get help in placing the date? Am I right in thinking 60s? Maybe early 60s? I threw the photo in of me wearing it because I think that it looks better on than on the mannequin (although it is somewhat dark).

Thanks!

23730744_10156934169634768_1108400924_o.jpg 23715321_10156934169784768_332680263_o.jpg 23732381_10156937586989768_1968850406_o.jpg 23732502_10156934171919768_561088262_o.jpg

2. Hello, can you please show a photo of the back view? Also, can you please tell us about the openings: does it have a centre back nylon zipper, for example.

I have no idea why the paper is there, sorry. It isn't part of the construction process so maybe someone wanted it to sit up a bit higher.

Also (to help with dating) can you please tell us what fabric it is made of, and if it has shoulder pads.

I don't see '60s but you might be picking up some information that we can't see in the pics so additional information would help. Thank you.

Tamzzyn likes this.
  3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

The silhouette of the dress looks late 1940s to me. So does the print. The fabric looks a bit like silk or a rayon imitating silk, in the last photo.

But there are, as Nicole has noted, questions to be asked before a date can be determined. Does it have a side metal zip?

I have no idea about what is going on with the collar, unless the paper was put there during storage for some reason.

The dress does have some vague elements of 1960s styling, but the actual shape is hard to see, and the length looks pre mid 50s to me.

If it is 1940s or early 50s, it is a great find, even with the collar issue. Fabulous print!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    Tamzzyn likes this.
  4. Tamzzyn

Tamzzyn Registered Guest

Thanks for the help ladies! As I was taking photos to show the back (which is a center back metal zipper), I found a label (Alper Schwartz) and an ILGWU label that dates it to 1963 - 1974! I can't believe that I missed it! It is indeed made out of silk (burn test confirmed).

5. Pretty. Wondering if the paper you describe is pellon.

6. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

That paper in the collar IS pellon so I would think the collar is meant to stand a little bit not be rolled at all. A careful steam might help it stand.

7. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

If the paper is Pellon, which it looks like it is, the dress is from the '50's (or later) because Pellon was not introduced until 1950.