1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. IMG_1316.JPG IMG_1317.JPG IMG_1319.JPG IMG_1320.JPG IMG_1321.JPG IMG_1318.JPG

Please excuse quick pics. Not at home to put on form. Couldn't get pics to go below blurb on my phone

This piece just covers the shoulders with a wide open collar. It does up with one furrier hook and eye. I would like to know type of fur - very soft - and what part Norman Hartnell played in the making.

Did he design it and make it and then it was sold at the NS furrier? Or?

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Thanks!

PS - We don't have label in resource; so will be sure to add.

cmpollack likes this.
  2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Hartnell did a tour of Canada in the 50s (I want to say 1953 or 54 - after the coronation.) I know he did fashion shows at leading stores and likely did some freelance designing as well as selling designs to manufacturers who wanted to use the Hartnell name to help sell their products. There is a black and white film of him being interviewed on the CBC - It used to be online, but has since disappeared. I suspect the fur company bought the use of his name to put it on their label - with his design approval of course, but the fur would have been made in Canada.

3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

What a pretty fur, I would think it may be sable.

cmpollack likes this.
  4. Thanks, Jonathan. You're a weath of info, as always. Too bad about the interview no longer being online.

Thanks, MJ. I thought it might be sable but having never handled sable I wasn't sure. Look forward to what Caryn says.

5. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Hi there, it is mink and very pretty.

6. Thanks, Caryn. Happy you dropped in. It is quite different than all minks I've handled. Is there a name for this mink?

7. peaceful vintage

There's no specific name for the mink however I can tell that it's female mink because of the softness of the fur which aside from you saying so I can actually see in the photos.

The coloration in part is what makes MJ think it looks like sable. It really tricks the eye.

My apologies for answering the rest of what you asked also.
    The furrier would have purchased the labels from the designer with permission to use them in like fur garments.
    It would be like ready to wear but the similarity would not necessarily be the design itself.

It could be the type of pelts used, the signature color, the signature lining, etc.; something that tied to the designer.

Many furriers, and I'm not implying this one at all, used labels in furs they weren't supposed to at all.

There is a fur seller on eBay who does that now.

8. Thanks so much, Caryn. Great info..

peaceful vintage likes this.
  9. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Can you show it open so I can see where the grey lining is and the Hartnell label?

10. IMG_1347.JPG
    IMG_1346.JPG

So much nicer on the form!

cmpollack and peaceful vintage like this.
  11. peaceful vintage

That is absolutely beautiful. You can call it demi-buff or lunaraine mink. That would be the color.

12. Thanks, Caryn :)

peaceful vintage likes this.